Carmine jewell versus Juliet cherries

Wanted to point out a few differences others may not have noticed for the benefit of those working with these. Juliet has a slightly longer stem in my experience

These are juliet

Carmine jewell and Juliet both sucker. Both bear very heavy.

These are carmine jewell

There are flavor and size differences as well as many have pointed out that are well documented. Ripening times are also different. I will try to take some follow up photos.

6 Likes

Anyone has any updates on Wowza cherry. I just planted 2 little ones from Gurney’s.

Tony

2 Likes

Hey Tony! I have wowza and it tastes similar to Juliet. Cherries are bigger. And it’s 10 days behind Juliet in bloom very late blooming. Probably good for those late freeze areas. Seems prolific but mine is just starting. The first year I mowed it down by accident! It’s still small but recovered. Wowza produced about 50 cherries last year. It has about 150 to 200 this year. Juliet is a peak bloom right now wowza at popcorn stage a week to 10 days behind.

4-16-24

Juliet today

11 Likes

Out of curiosity, how old is that Juliet?

2 Likes

It’s 6th leaf I think? Maybe 7th? This will be the third decent crop. I will get two to three gallon freezer bags of cherries. I love this plant. Easier to care for and has produced well.

4 Likes

Our Juliet and Carmine Jewell bush cherries both bloomed March 29 and Romeo five days later. This is their third fruiting season; we picked 4 1/2 gallons from these two bushes last year. I think the Juliet cherries are slightly larger/meatier than the Carmine Jewell. They taste the same. Mid-Missouri zone 6b

2 Likes

Juliet last week:

This week:

Carmine Jewel last week:

This week:

2 Likes

Your bush cherries look good; so do ours. We are a couple of weeks ahead of you because we are in zone 6b. Last year, we picked 4 1/2 gallons of cherries off of one each Juliet and Carmine Jewel. I have 8 more young Juliet bushes that should produce in two years.

2 Likes

How much sun is required for romance series cherries? I’m working with a north-west aspect, get the sun at roughly 12pm - 6pm. I thought about planting them underneath an oak and a douglas fir, both of those trees are 10ft away, relatively old. Varieties I’m growing are Juliet and Romeo, they are both 3 years old.

1 Like

@Taylorinshirewood

Remember the Canadian cherries are heavy feeders. Im not sure if that will be enough sunlight to ripen them on time by the first of June like they do here. Maybe they will ripen slightly later in your situation.

1 Like

I agree with @clarkinks . They might do “okay”, as in as long is the spot does not retain water they probably won’t die, but I don’t think they would do well.

1 Like