Carol Deppe's Seeds Bred for Resilience

I got this email from FedCo today. I already have the Goldini II and posted about it. I might have to try the others. I have been wanting to learn to how to cook with dry beans and corn.

Seeds Bred for Resilience

Six stellar seed varieties from Oregon plant-breeder and author Carol Deppe have just arrived in our warehouse and are available for order!

A molecular geneticist who started her academic career—bolstered by the Equal Opportunity Act—as a rare woman in the field, Carol Deppe found herself reading organic farming and gardening magazines in a windowless room and saw an opportunity for change. She left academia and for 40 years has been dedicated to breeding plants for organic systems.

Trying to think 1,000 years ahead, Carol’s genius is in breeding for resilience to catastrophic weather disaster. Her varieties are as delicious as they are rugged! We are thrilled to partner with Carol to get her seeds and books into circulation. We plan to introduce more of her varieties in future catalogs. Stay tuned!

Cascade Ruby-Gold Flint Corn - Organic
An early productive gorgeous flint corn with cobs that dry down quickly. Excellent for cornbread, johnny cakes and polenta. Does well in cool summers; good husk coverage protects against birds and earworms.

Goldini II Golden Zucchini - Organic
Shiny ridged gold zucchini is fast growing and super prolific. See article below for details.

Brown Resilient Dry Bean - Organic
An early dry bean with rich meaty flavor that can hold its own in a dish. Bred for high yields under difficult growing conditions, particularly cold springs and cool summer nights.

Fast Lady Northern Southern Pea Dry Bean
Carol Deppe selected this small white cowpea, or Southern pea, to mature quickly in cool summers. Easy-to-pick, easy-to-shell 7–8" yellow pods. Beautiful yellow flowers attract pollinators.

Gaucho Dry Bean - Organic
Compact bush form, Gaucho has high yield potential—20 lb per 100 row feet in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, which gets suboptimal sun in spring and cold nights through summer.

White Candle Gaucho Dry Bean - Organic
Milder flavor and the same high yields as Gaucho, its sister variety. You can plant the two beans in the same row since crossing between sister varieties isn’t a big deal—this makes saving bean seed even easier!
Shop All Carol Deppe Seeds
Shop Carol Deppe’s Books

Goldini II - A Culinary Delight

Uniform ridged Goldini II Zucchini offers triple culinary delights: delicious raw, delectable cooked, or downright tasty when dried. Fruits reach full flavor for eating raw or cooked at about 1-lb size. While most zucchinis become bland when dried, Goldini II develops a wonderful flavor distinct from the raw or cooked squash. Prime size for drying is 0.8 lb to 3 lb. The dried squash slices or powder are perfect for winter soups and stews.

Dry slices in a dehydrator at 95˚, in an oven set to low, or on racks in the sun.

Slice 3/8" thick for pieces that will take about 45 minutes to reconstitute in boiling water or in a soup or stew. Slice 1/8" thick for vegetable chips to use as dippers. Slice in a food processor for very thin pieces that reconstitute in about 5 minutes. You can grind the dried slices in a coffee grinder for a powder that makes a good base for quick soups. For larger squash with more mature seeds, halve and remove seeds before slicing and drying. Store dry squash in air-tight containers. See Carol Deppe’s The Resilient Gardener for complete information on making and using dry zucchini slices as a long-storing staple.
Shop Goldini II
Shop All Carol Deppe Seeds

Fedco Seeds Inc. | PO Box 520, Clinton, ME 04927 | (207) 426-9900 | fedcoseeds.com
Facebook ‌ Instagram ‌
Fedco Seeds Inc.
688 Bellsqueeze Rd
Clinton, ME 04927

5 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Carol Deppe’a books and her very well thought out philosophy. I’m glad to see her varieties are getting out there.

2 Likes

I got that this morning as well and decided I better get the Goldini II before people bought out all the seed!

They aren’t Carol’s, but I also bought Costata Romanesca and Alexandria (a Lebanese Cousa type that supposedly matures in 47 days) to fill out my summer squash plan for the year. I’m trying to decide if I should just skip growing Tromboncino this year and stick with these and hope the borers aren’t too bad. It would be nice to not have to deal with the giant vines, but when everything else is dead, that Tromboncino proves unkillable.

1 Like

I think I mentioned it elsewhere to you, but the kousa types seem more borer resistant than other zucchini types. They held up as long as my crookneck squash last year. The tromboncino were too much to keep up with.

I think I grew Haifa’s Finest: Organic Haifa's Finest Zucchini - Fruition Seeds

And Homs Kousa: 'Homs Kousa' Summer Squash – Experimental Farm Network Seed Store

Johnny’s Seeds has a kousa type this year I will try as well: Magda - (F1) Zucchini Squash Seed | Johnny's Selected Seeds

1 Like

I’m curious if @Bestseed has an opinion of Carol Deppe’s seeds.

I also grew Homs Kousa last year. Got 6 fruit off of 3 plants before the borers did them in. They tasted good but not great. I’m looking at tromboncino or something else with proven borer resistance for this year.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping for the Alexandria, but at least if I see a lot of borer pressure the early maturity will help make sure I get at least a few. I’m really looking forward to trying these new varieties.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this! Placed an order for Goldini and Brown Resilient dry beans.

You realize how relative climate is when you read the Fedco blurb “…the Willamette Valley of Oregon, which gets suboptimal sun in spring and cold nights through summer”.

Up here in the northern part of the PNW, I think of the Wilamette Valley as valhalla!

3 Likes

I’ve grown her “oregon homestead sweet meat” and it was ridiculously productive, one vine in limited space made about 50lbs. I got it from nichols:

it’s good to see her seeds more available, there was a lot on her list I wanted to try when I looked last year

1 Like

In my area people say: “Don’t leave your car unlocked or someone will put their extra zucchini in your trunk”. :wink:

1 Like

SESE sells Sweet Meat, but it doesn’t mention being her improved strain: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

yeah I think it’s common enough, nichols actually sells both a Deppe and non-Deppe sweet meat. I saw the crop failure note, 90% of my own squash starts failed last year, it wasn’t a great year here

1 Like