Carored Peaches

Anyone growing Carored peaches? The Clemson peach doctor really like these peaches. I found them to be jucy, but not as sweet as I expected. My Rich May were much sweeter

How is your Carored doing? Mr. Jerry Frecon recommends it highly, but I am finding that it is hard to come by.

The peaches are excellent and the trees are doing well but they bloom early and got hit by the frost last year.

In full bloom now and we have had a few low temps in the 25 degree range so Iā€™m not sure what to expect this year.

Got my trees from Vaughn Nursery in Tennessee

They have pretty low chill hours and are probably better suited to an area further south

Thank you very much for your help. I checked-in with Vaughn Nursery (not too far from me) and they still offer Carored, but only on Guardian rootstock.

Hopefully your stone fruit harvest turns out better than expected this year, and thank you again for your input.

Have a great weekend.

Russ

I just bought a Carored peach and to be honest about the only reason I bought it was it was the earliest ripening peach they had in stock. But after googling and watching some useless you tube videos, I still havenā€™t found much at all about this peach. Of course its a cling and probably not as good as a ā€œregularā€ season peach, but Iā€™d still like to know more about it. Anyone who has it, Iā€™d sure love a report.

@Litsinger did you end up buying it. You mentioned being a little concerned about Vaughnā€™s being on Guardian and I share those concerns but took a chance anyway. Curious if you did as well?

@blueberrythrill it sounds like you were pretty happy with it as of last March. Did it do well last year? Overall are you still fairly happy with it. Anything else I should or would enjoying knowing ?
thanks!

Cityman:

I have ordered it (though not confirmed) from Freedom Tree Farms in McMinnville as they have it on Halford stock. If I receive it this Spring, Iā€™ll let you know how it does- who did you end up buying yours from?

p.s. FWIW, Mr. Jerry Frecon (ā€œMr. Peachā€) swears by Carored for its ripening window. Where I am at, he was a bit concerned that it might get caught in early warm-up but still thought it was worth a try.

Carored did well last year. Not the best peach I grow but it ripens early, just after Rich May. Carored has done better than Ruby Prince which ripens next. Split pit has been a problem with Ruby Prince past 2 years but not with Carored. I donā€™t like Carored as much as Rich May and I would choose Rich May over Carored if space was tight.

Sometimes customers whine about clingstone peaches, but I believe a tree ripe clinstone peach is a lot better than no fresh peach which is the alternative!

1 Like

Vaughn nursery, not far from you. You mentioned your concern about their peaches being on Guardian and share that concern but Iā€™ve never actually tried Guardian here, and while it doesnā€™t sound like a good fit for this area, Iā€™ve learned the only thing you can really depend on when it comes to fruit growing is what you personally trial. There are so many micro climates, and soils can vary dramatically within just a few hundred feet, and lay of land can make for wet roots or dry roots much of the year. You get the pointā€¦Guardian might just surprise us both and work well here (or maybe not) but I figure we wonā€™t know for sure until we try it! :slight_smile:

@blueberrythrill that post was really interesting to me. I tried to buy Rich may but they were out. I actually DID buy Ruby prince last year so hopefully I will also get to compare those to. I still want to get Rich May and also Gold Dust, another early that Iā€™ve heard a lot of good things about. But I especially liked your last comment! Iā€™ve pretty much just come to expect that early, cling stone peaches just arenā€™t as good as regular/later season ones. But I had already come to the exact same conclusion as you. Itā€™s still a GREAT thrill and wonderful culinary treat to pick and eat those first, early peaches after winter. You said it best, compared to nothing (or to grocery store peaches) those early peaches are still heavenlyā€¦just not quite as heavenly as the later ones! ha

Cityman

I believe Vaughn calls it ā€œFlavorichā€ Its just starting to bloom at my house and blooms slightly behind Carored but ripens almost 2 weeks earlier.

Unfortunately, my area is predicted to get two 20 degree days early next week which may eliminate these early peaches. Could eliminate all my peaches after I spent more than 60 man hours pruning them, flailing the clippings and spraying with oil and copper. I enjoyed the exercise but would enjoy the peaches a lot more!

I tried to buy a Flavorich too but Vaughn was out of them. In fact, the earliest peach they had in stock was Carored and thatā€™s why I bought them. They were also out of the very late peaches like fairtime and autumn prince, though I did get a Parade. You ever grown Parade? I love the idea of these really early and really late peaches for reasons we have already discussed- whether they are comparable to regular season peaches or not, it is just wonderful to have ANY fresh peaches before or after the others are gone.
In spite of me having a pretty big variety of peaches, almost all of them still ripen within a short 2.5 week time frame. Iā€™ve tried hard to spread that out and bought a few that were reported to be outside that time, but either they turned out to ripen in the same window or I lost them for various uncommon reasons. If you havenā€™t grown parade, Iā€™d love to hear if you have ANY varieties that are substantially later or earlier than others. I can read the ripening charts but Iā€™m more interested in actual, personal observations since ripening charts havenā€™t been real dependable for me. Thanks Rick.

My peach season starts about June 1 with Rich May and ends around Aug 30 with Flame Prince. I have about 6 or 7 varieties in sequence between these two. I have never grown Parade peaches but they should ripen here in September.

Iā€™m not crazy about Flame Prince. Hard to tell when its ripe. Also, we had some type of internal rot problem last year after many days of rain in a row. May have had SWD for the first time ever on peaches with that variety last year. Finally, its more difficult to sell fruit during mid to late August here because of ā€œback to schoolā€ activities.

My experience is that the 1050 chill hour peaches from NCSU like Contender or China Gold EDIT: (should be CAROLINA Gold or China Pearl) are slightly more reliable than the normal 700-850 chill hour peaches during some years, but a major freeze (like the one coming next week) normally kills Contender too. Carored is only about 650 hours so its a good candidate for damage from a early frost.

How far along are you contender trees, Blueberry?

Spud

Many buds on Contender are not showing pink yet but are very close. Just a small amount of pink on a few buds on Contender. For comparison, Carored are blooming with most close to full bloom

My Contender trees are not showing pink tip yet, of course I am couple hours North of you so my trees should not be as far along. Do you think the teen weather forecast for next week will damage your trees at pink tip?

Spud,
This chart has been posted on the forum a few times. T is useful tool.

For stone fruit say, peach buds, temp in the teen will kill them. How much damage depends on how low the temp and how long it stays cold.

Cityman:

You are exactly right! When I asked Jerry about Guardian, he thought it would be suitable to our area, just maybe not ā€˜necessaryā€™ relative to the nematode resistance. My only hesitation in using it was in trying to optimize later blooming and higher winter hardiness (i.e. Lovell, Halford, Bailey) due to weather like we are having nowā€¦ that said, it may only impact bloom dates by a day or two, so it will probably be a non-factor in the overall scheme of things. Iā€™ll be watching to see how it works out for you.

Have a great week.

Russ

In my deep south location, my trees on Guardian is the last rootstock to initiate bloom with the same varieties. For instance, Arctic Star on Nemaguard and Lovell has finished blooming and set thumbnail size fruit. The one Guardian is only @ green calyx.

1 Like

That is very interesting and helpful information- the only research data I am aware of that has studied this is the NC-140 program, which if I interpret the data correctly has the calendar days to full bloom within a day of each other for all regions when comparing Guardian to Lovell.

I am happy to hear what @jaypeedee said and hope it translates that way for me (us). I also have quite a few trees on Citation which I also think isnā€™t ideal for our area but itā€™s about all that Peaceful Valley sales (Dave WIlson Trees). And I have a few Lovell. Honestly Iā€™ve never noticed a difference in bloom time or water/drought tolerance, vigor, or anything else between Lovell and Citation on my property, though others seem to have a big preference one way or the other, so who knows. Anyway, Iā€™ll keep an eye out and let you know how my Guardian trees perform, @Litsinger .

BTW, Russ, and if you already said this Iā€™m sorry, but do you know what rootstock Freedom Tree Farm uses for their peaches and/or plums? As Iā€™ve told you before, Iā€™ve bought a lot of their trees over the years from Kroger of all places, but have never known what they are on. Do you?