Cattle Panels Horizontally for brambles/cane berries

I hope I am describing this correctly, but I’ve seen people make a trellis for blackberries or raspberries by using cattle panels HORIZONTALLY. In fact I probably saw it here.

So instead of using it as a regular trellis, the idea is the canes grow up through the horizontal panels to support them.

Has anyone done this? How do you attach the panels to the posts? It seems so much easier than a typical trellis.

I was even thinking it could work for tomatoes, too, but I’d need something more easily disassembled since I rotate my veggies.

2 Likes

I saw the ideas on social medias but not sure if i saw the end result…this is a better representation i think of what you are wanting?

berry-trellis

Laying the canes horizontally sure does give alot more flower buds…which will give more fruit… i mentioned this in the other thread… if you look closely this panel helps that out alot.

7 Likes

Yes, that’s it. Now the one issue is I don’t use those big, thick wood posts, I usually use t-posts, but I’m not sure how you would attach to the post because it looks like they Attach two by fours to the posts to set the panels on. Not sure how I would do that on a t post.

attach these and you can make a frame fairly easily and cheap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FARMGARD-Horizontal-T-Post-Bracket-2-Pack-889193A-2/323072343

3 Likes

…that, or simply slot a short length of 2x4 to plug over the central T-post rib and drill+screw to the side ribs, that was my method of attaching wood to T-post…

3 Likes

I did use the panels for tomatoes, but the panels were vertical, long side parellel to the ground. They were on t-posts using clips (I think they were originally meant for electric wires). Hard to move, basically because of the clips.
For flat horizontal panels like the picture- maybe something like t-posts with grape trellis supports? I don’t know if they would support a panel, but there is no reason they would not, particularly if t-posts are closer. You would need to look at how to attach them. I use uv-stabilized zip ties for everything outside.
You will need to search for vineyard crossarms to find them.

1 Like

We use hog panels for many things. The Triple Crop Tomatoes make a fantastic Tomato Tunnel on them. We use them to make green houses too.

I made one for my mom with a full size (4’x16’) cattle panel for her hollyhocks flowers. It worked great.
I used the steel T post. I put 1 post on each corner and 1 in the middle of each of the 16 foot sides.
I had a few smaller light weight steel post so I put those in the middle to give some support there.
I just used some wire and wired the panel to the post.

1 Like

Those brackets look awesome. Thanks.

Used 3/4” EMT as a frame to attach 8’ x 4’ cattle panel.

4 Likes

A very simple verticle blackberry trellis … cattle panel and tposts.

You can weave the canes thru the panel holes to secure them… and i also tie them when needed with a bit of jute twine.

Simple, works well, easy to mow around, harvest from…

I have Loganberry and Obsidian (longer trailing type canes) on trellis like this… setting up another for Kiowa and Caddo this week.

TNHunter

4 Likes

got my Marquette grapes on a set up like that except the 8ft. is sideways. works great. going to set one up like that for my Columbia stars i have in front of the house.

If you are using vertical cattle panels for tomato trellising, a great way to connect the tomatoes to the panel, rather than laborious weaving, is bungie cords. They are very quick and easy to attach the tomatoes and easy to remove when the season is over. They “grow” with the plant because of the stretchiness.

4 Likes

great idea Dianne! welcome to the forum. got bungies all over the place.

Can you share a picture?

I was inspired by the discussion of horizontal trellising. The brackets that @krismoriah suggested worked great on 5’ T posts.
IMG_2225
IMG_2226

3 Likes

I’ve been this using this method to pack as much as veggies in the bed. Works really well, I use this plastic tomato clips which lasts couple of season.

1 Like

Was thinking of trying this for tomatoes, but realized I’d need 10-ft t-posts (8’ high once pounded into the ground) and I cannot find any anywhere.

My tomatoes easily get 8’ tall.

You can buy a couple of 4 foot pieces of EMT conduit at Lowes or some place and attach them to the top of the 7 ft t-posts with a couple of hose clamps to get some extra height. Works pretty well.

1 Like

And how do I attach the panels to those?

1 Like