Cauliflory

Had a random short in my YouTube feed. I didn’t know we had trees in the US that did this. I wanted to guess is was something like a jaboticabas tree, which I’ve seen in Singapore.

Eastern redbud. It’s a beautiful display.

2 Likes

Redbuds are quite beautiful and grow naturally in much of US East coast. I hear the flowers are edible. Some ornamental cultivars have quite beautiful foliage as well, e.g., flamethrower. I’ve seen some redbuds get around roughly the size as an apple tree. If you travel through Virginia in springtime, you will for sure see many.

2 Likes

At the end of the video he eats some…

We haves a kind of redbud down here but they aren’t very big trees. An understudy tree I see on the side of the road and usually the first flowers seen in spring… Not counting Japanese magnolias which like to bloom with any warmth in January or early February.

2 Likes

Check Cannonball tree, you will be amazed by both flowers and fruit.

3 Likes

There are fruiting plants in several different genetic families with this characteristic. I suspect they all evolved in tropic regions. Here I’m growing Plinias and Pouteria.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few in SE Asia.

I posted the video partially because it wasn’t in the tropics but in the US.

I’m reading g the eastern redbud is related to pea plants and the flower and legume / pod are all edible.

I wouldn’t mind having such a tree and seeing this every few years or so…

Not that I have room for it…

2 Likes

Fuchsia excorticata exhibits cauliflory. It would be cool if it could be bred into hybrid fuchsias.

2 Likes

This topic interests me because many of cauliflory are tropical trees

Here are two. A blast from the past.

Averrhoa Bilimbi. I remember as children we dared one another to eat them. They are sour!!

And Lansium domesticum or Langsat. The more popular one is Lansium domesticum Corr.aka Longkong.

5 Likes

We have a grafted variety in the front yard. It’s a pretty tree when it has the hombre look with new leaves growing (native trees are green) and the flowers are beneficial to early waking pollinators.

3 Likes

Another one that I forgot. Star gooseberries. Another very sour one but was fun to eat. I can’t handle sour fruit anymore.

IMG_7126

5 Likes

The first photo… I’ve seen a few of those trees in my area. Even took a photo sometime to try to identify it.

What is it?

It’s a gorgeous small tree with the lighter colors on new grow, leaf shape and how they stand out on the branches like elephants ears…

1 Like

That is the red bud! Both photos are the same tree in my yard :blush:

1 Like

I had two Redbud trees, both succumbed to verticillium wilt after 6-7 years. One of them was a weeping Redbud called LavenderTwist. Very attractive and pricey. I still miss that one.

1 Like

OK… Mind blown.

There must be another tree locally we call a redbud. I notice it late winter early spring blooming but I really didn’t think those were the leaves of that tree.

Hmmm.

I’ll pay attention this spring…so to look at the few I took photos of that were that leaf.

There ones I noticed were planted in commercial property landscapes like a bank or something.

The flowering tree I see in the understudy of the forest on roadside.

Maybe it’s another purple red flowering tree that is native while the eastern redbud isn’t and this is planted.

Looks like it’s not really seen here in nature
220px-Cercis_canadensis_range_map_2~2

1 Like