Cedar Apple Rust this Spring

I think this the worst I have ever seen it. It’s everywhere. It’s no wonder I can’t grow apples.

1 Like

Start spraying now!

1 Like

Sure you can just make a couple of timely sprays, maybe another if the weather is rainy and warm.

2 Likes

Cut the cedars down

Was going to suggest the same.

I have about 50 cedar trees in a long border, but I manage to grow apples w/o much trouble from rust, with spraying

1 Like

Cutting isn’t an option since they are the neighbors trees. I could probably spray some of the neighbors trees. What I find amazing is how much CAR there is in places that have no apple trees around. What other plants are the alternate host for CAR. Also in the past I did spray my apple tree but didn’t seem to do much good and eventually cut it down. Can you spray the cedars to stop it there? If so what do you use?

“They” seem to discourage the notion of spraying the cedars. I know you’d have to do it in the late summer and use the same kind of fungicide as on apples

From the looks of it if you cant cut the cedars down you are going to have to spray your trees for CAR. Curious if you have any CAR susceptable varieties like Goldrush?

1 Like

Pear, hawthorn, Quence, etc.

I used to have a Golden delicious and a Winesap but never got a harvest off them due to the CAR. Also my soil is very shallow and not suitable for apples so I have given up on them. I cut the trees down. Currently I have a couple saplings and seedlings I will graft and give away. I have found stone fruit is much easier for me to grow.

I’m trying to get the CAR spray timing right this year. About how many days / weeks is this Gall from releasing spores?

The next warm day with a rain.

1 Like

It’s not days but moisture. Give that one some thick humid weather, and it’ll go to jellytown. You can’t miss it when it happens.

2 Likes

The picture I posted earlier in this thread is actually a cedar pear rust. Similar but different.

1 Like

Can’t you just cut it off and torch it? Or encase it in a plastic bag so that when it goes the spores are contained and then you can chem them en masse

Mike

You can cut off the galls. They don’t seem to become infectious once removed from the tree. But you can’t get them all

1 Like

I pulled all of that I could find off. I need to cut out all the ceders I can. Unfortunately, There are a bunch of them nextdoor. I’m watching the galls and the weather this year so I have the timing right.

That’s the best way. When you see them go all jelly, it’s time to spray

I manage so many orchards, precise spraying isn’t possible, but none of my orchards get debilitating CAR. Here scab requires more spray on very wet early seasons. Put highest legal rate of myclobutanil in oil spray at tight cluster. Then include myclo with your cap (for scab) in your 2 or 3 post petal fall biweekly (14 DAY) sprays and I doubt CAR will ever amount to more than a few random spots, even on the worst years. You don’t even have to spray your junipers.

2 Likes