Chaen Double take-Scarlet Storm flowers

Check out my Scarlet Storm blooming.

Tony

8 Likes

Beautiful flowers but what’s “Scarlet Storm”?

Tom

Hi Tom,

My wife bought the Scarlet Storm Quince flowering bush at Lowes for $29 each last year. They are beautiful and hardy to z5. Next January, I will bring them indoor to force bloom to coincide with our Chinese’s New Year.

Chao,

Tony

1 Like

Does it fruit?

Flowering quince fruits but is inedible. Maybe if canned, but EXTREMELY astringent.

1 Like

Jason,

This one Just ornamental beautiful flowers and no fruits. When they are in full bloom, the whole bush covered with awesome flowers.

Tony

1 Like

Tony,

I’ve forced forsythias, crabapples, pussy willows, peaches, tulips and daffodils but never thought of forcing quince for Chinese New Year display. That’s interesting to know if they would cooperate fully in early February.

Very beautiful flowers and definitely strong color for the occasion. Thanks for the idea!

Tom

Tony what beautiful flowers and perfect for Chinese New Year. I have never seen that beautiful a red on flowering quince before. Just lovely.

Tony,love the color of this flower,so rich

Flowering quince can be used to make jams out of. It is best to leave them on the tree until after a really good frost. This improves the flavor somewhat.

1 Like

Tom, did you had the chance to pick up some of these red flowering quince at Lowes. Here are a few more photos of them flowering.

Tony

4 Likes

They look like a beautiful painting!

1 Like

I normally see flowering quince and just think they are kinda ho hum. I saw your picture and can’t believe how awesome that plant looks.

Tony,

I have not yet having a chance to Lowes but definitely keep this in mind! Did you take note of how many days/weeks for it to bloom (after in-door), 1st bloom and full blooms?

Tom

Tom,

From my memory it was roughly 3 weeks, but next year I want to bring it the house a month before the Chinese New Year so I can enjoy it one extra week. The blooms lasted for about 3-4 weeks period.

Tony

Tom, here is the update photos of them this morning. They will be Blooming for a few more weeks.

Tony

7 Likes

Tony,

I went to my local Lowe’s, I don’t see any. Also, what’s it like the rest of the year? Just foliage?

Tony,

Looking at these is like looking at the Asian painting/arts with bold colors and angles. So BREATH-TAKEN BEAUTIFUL…! I think my mind is poisoned with these images!

This “Scarlet Storm” is another must have.:anguished:

Tom

Tom,
You and I both. However, I don’t think I am no where near green thumb as Tony is.

Mamuang,

I’ll probably stop by a Lowe’s tomorrow to check up on it. About the green thumb thing, I admit that I’ve killed plenty of “innocent” plants in this obsessed gardening hobby! :grin:

Tom