Che tree hardy to Polar vortex -31F

My two Che trees bark grafted to Osage orange rootstocks survived the -31F and the two 5 years old trees produced fruits yearly.

8 Likes

:crossed_fingers:Keep us updated on how the fruit progresses. A lot of people mention their fruit fell off for a few years before it held and then it needed a long enough growing season to actually ripen the fruit.

1 Like

My seedless Che Scion source was from Edible landscaping. Fruited the second year after bark grafted 5 years ago in pots. I put them in the ground in z5 3 years ago.

5 Likes

What do you think of the fruit, Tony? Whenever che comes up, most of the reactions seem to range from “meh” to “yuck.” There’s no doubt about them being tough trees, though!

3 Likes

I got a Norris from treepeony.com last year and was excited and THEN that is when I heard all the bad news. I’m still holding out hope that it will be worth it just to have something not available in grocery stores.

1 Like

What was the bad news?

1 Like

The fruit.
The fruit is the bad news.

2 Likes

Started my CHE spring 2020… it had no fruit set last year but this year lots of fruit on and developing…

When they do drop fruit do you know when that normally happens ?

Mid summer ? Early fall ?

1 Like

The fruit is mildly sweet, firm texture and the juice has an undertone of watermelon juice. I loved to eat fruits so Che is doable for me. But the Che tree is oremental with a cool looking leaf pattern. So if you have space then go for it. It is a very low maintenance tree.

3 Likes

Like @castanea said. :joy: A lot of people have had terrible or lackluster responses to the fruit regarding the flavor, ripening issues in colder zones, fruit drop, and a myriad of other issues I’ve read about on here.

I live in STL so I have several hot months of 85F+ so I hope that resolves most of the issues and until I find out otherwise I remain psyched to try it myself.

I too live in STL. I’ve had a seedless on Osage Orange from Edible Landscaping for about 8 years. It produces gallons of fruit every year. They are pretty good. Very juicy and quite large. I just grafted 6 scions of it to OO rootstock this spring and those already have fruits on them! These things are fruitful.

5 Likes

Thanks for that confirmation! I can’t wait!