Cherry Damage, what causes this (pics)

I’ve had these for several years now, looks like some bug was eating on them. I spray imidian in the spring after petal fall, but since I have a mixed orchard the early blooming cherries have to wait for the later blooming Euro plums before they get sprayed. I have seen only 1 Curio strike on the hundreds of fruits I have looked at this year, and I checked the dropping ones and there are no worms present. The cherries dropped a lot of their fruit this year, likely because they over fruited last year and were not thinned enough, hopefully that will mean big cherries.

Other than this it looks like a great year, light on the apples, but everything else has a massive fruit set, thinning is going to be a real chore this year.

Eric

1 Like

Looks like bird pecks. The smaller fruit could be unpollinized, or brown rot.

2 Likes

I agree @Drew51 looks like bird pecks to me though it’s surprising with very green fruit.

I am seeing a lot of that kind of damage on very green fruit- makes me wonder if the weird weather is messing with their usual foods.

1 Like

It could be stinkbugs or similar. Here is a page with stinkbug damage on various fruits, scroll down for the cherry pictures:

http://www.stopbmsb.org/where-is-bmsb/bmsb-damage-gallery/

2 Likes

I agree with stink bugs. I don’t raise Cherries but I get similar damage on my plums from stink bugs if I don’t keep them controlled

1 Like

My cherries look similar to the OP photos, What do you do to control the stink bugs?

1 Like

I spray mine with permethrin and it seems to control their numbers fairly well.

1 Like

when do you spray? and how many times?