Cherry rootstock influences chill requirements

(a) Gisela 6 rootstock (b) Colt rootstock ( c) Sweetheart on Colt in the foreground, Sweetheart on Gisela 6 in the background (d) photo © a week later.

See reference here:
http://www.cherries.org.au/the-vca/conferences/2012-conference/item/download/56_3fd9ec27d536e94d462c7f213c5f5cbd

I didn’t know that the rootstock could influence chill hours! Just thought it might have an effect on precocity. According to this reference from Australia, of the dwarfing rootstock choices — Colt is not so great.

Also they comment on using evaporative cooling to try to counter the chill negating effect of +60 degree days. Basically they run overhead misters. This seems easy enough to try for the backyard…

1 Like

Interesting, there is also a bit in there that suggests mineral oil is a dormancy-breaker. So I wonder if that is problem for us cold-climate folks applying dormant oil at dormant stage?

2 Likes

Probably not, provided you haven’t hit enough chill portions for your cultivar to break rest. In other words only apply your hort. oils in early dormancy.

1 Like

Here’s a few data points from my experience. Almost 10 years ago I planted Minnie Royal & Royal Lee – both on Colt rootstock in the western Rancho Penasquitos area of San Diego, USDA 9b/10a (near Black Mtn Middle School). The growth habit of the trees was semi-dwarf, as you might expect a pit fruit on Citation in our climate; i.e., semi-vigorous. Two years after planting I harvested 7 gallons of cherries from the combined trees and thereafter 10-15 gallons – leaving many more gallons for the birds because we couldn’t keep up with the production of the trees.

Further, I never sprayed with horticultural oil, but rather Liqui-Cop (copper ammonium) for winter spray and occasionally with Evergreen EC to control pests during the summer.

1 Like

… And yet you just gave both trees the axe in your current house…

For a completely unrelated reason: they’re being replaced by a single 6GM25 – freeing up space for an additional fruit/nut tree.