Cherry tree root structure

I wondering, where are most feeding roots for cherry tree on G5 (or G3) located? I am going to plant my trees on a raised bed inside metal frame to be able to cover them from rains when cherries are ripening. I know that splitting occurs even if tree is covered, if water running of the cover soaks the soil. So I try to make sure that water running down not into the raised bed, but on the sides bellow the bed, where it can run off with a natural slop. So if the majority of feeding roots located closer to the trunk( how close?) I just need to make the raised bed wide enough to accommodate feeding roots under the cover. If that is not the case, the width of the bed doesn’t make much difference, I guess…

My feeling is that most trees roots spread much wider than we think. I’ve got one 12 yr old persimmon tree. It sends up root sprouts that are easily identified. The tree is about 8ft tall and wide. Root sprouts follow the water and come up as far as 30ft from the tree. I’ve seen sprouts in at least 10 spots way outside the dripline.

So my thinking is your cherry on G3 or 5 will find the water if it’s anywhere near the tree. Could it’s roots be really dwarf, maybe, but I won’t expect it.

1 Like

Thanks! Then it means it doesn’t really matter how wide my bed is, I guess. Do I need the bed at all? Or it even makes things more complicated for the tree, as it makes the roots to grow deeper beyond the bed?

Rootstocks tend to have horizontal roots which are not great in windstorms , droughts, and loose soils. Good trees have vertical tap roots so they can tap into the water table and anchor themselves down to the ground better. It’s something we don’t always think about but one of the reasons I prefer wild rootstocks. There are more mineral nutrients down deep for the tree once it’s roots reach them. Horizontal roots never reach those extra nutrients or water.

1 Like