Chestnuts! A few questions

Thanks Jack.

Tony

Jack and all,

I buried the 2 Collosal Chinese Chestnuts from our local Asian market in my flower pot about 5 weeks ago. One of them had sprout to about 3 inches tall. I plan to grow them in-ground in a couple of weeks. Is this seedling going to be self-fruitul?

Tony

2 Likes

Chestnuts are fairly true to seed compared to may trees. I’ve grown unknown variety Chinese chestnuts and Dunstan chestnuts which are a cross with American. The question is pollination. It is my understanding that a specific variety cannot pollinate themselves, but when you grow a chestnut from seed, they can pollinate each other. So, if your other nut produces a tree you will be fine. They are primarily insect pollinated, so they need to be proximate. Two trees a hundred yards apart are essentially sexually isolated. You can plant them at a distance so their crowns won’t interfere when mature. My personal strategy is to plant them about 18 fee apart. This helps production in the early years. When crowns begin to interfere, I’ll keep the best producing trees and cull the interfering tree (I’m planting in volume).

1 Like

IIRC, ‘Collosal’ is pollen-sterile. Who knows if its seedlings may or may not express that trait?

So, is there a place to buy the transgenic chestnuts yet (I assume not) or, failing that, ACF or ACCF seed, minus going to full membership in the ACF? I don’t doubt they do great work, but $40 to join their group…I can’t help but think they would collect more $$ selling the seed outright at least as one option…

It’s been a number of years (nearly 20, I guess), since I first joined ACCF… and I’m sorry to say that I only maintained my membership/sponsorship for a few years, until I let it lapse. Received a number of seedlings and seednuts of ACCF chestnuts… and to my knowledge, still have one surviving tree.
Not sure what the current ACCF policy is, but I’ll bet that you can still obtain seednuts/seedlings as part of your cooperator’s agreement - you just have to report on them, annually.

To address the original concern about storing them: Though they are a ‘true nut’ they are very different from the high-fat, low-carb nuts that we can just leave out in a bowl on the table. They are more like potatoes on a tree. The general advice is that they are best ‘cured’ which is done for a little while, not in a refrigerator. Storing them beyond curing time is done in a refrigerator…or by drying. I suspect that in the old times folks who stored them in the attic through Winter were drying and somewhat chilling them by doing so. The dried nuts are hard and need to be reconstituted…or ground into flour (nice). Re: the blight…trees from east of the Rockies can’t be shipped to west of the Rockies but there are good sources of blight-free trees in the West, such as Washington Chestnut Company (excellent trees) and Burnt Ridge Nursery, and they can ship to just about anywhere. There are sources of the 15/16ths American (with just enough Chinese to be blight resistant but retain the fine American qualities) but most of the trees commonly available (Colossal, etc.) are Japanese/European hybrids (sometimes with Chinese and/or American influence), and are varying degrees of blight resistant…including: not very. Chestnut is marron and castagne (and variations) in Europe.

French chestnut trees are European chestnuts - Castanea sativa - similar is shape and size to American chestnut trees.

I’m trying to respond to a post by Lucky P and it won’t let me delete this post

Colossal produces lousy seedlings. BTW, American chestnuts are not sweeter than Chinese. American chestnuts generally have a higher fat content.

Does anyone know if Chinkapin will pollinate regular hybrid chestnuts. thx!

1 Like

I haven’t figured out how to post pictures yet but this is a link to our property tour on another site. If you follow it we have a pic of our largest American chestnuts tree from the ACCF. This group has tried to breed blight resistant trees through only American chestnuts that have demonstrated blight resistance. The pic is a year old and is a little bigger this year.

The link is missing.

Yes, all castanea species will pollinate all other castanea species.

1 Like

Nice place. Was that snake a copperhead?

thx so much!

Yeah it was a copper head had a lot that year.

If you have room why don’t you just get another tree? I don’t know where Gurneys gets their trees but there are many sources of seedling chestnut trees that are probably better, like Red Fern Farm in Iowa -
http://www.redfernfarm.com/index.php/product-category/chestnuts/

Hi everyone, I’m new to growing chestnuts. To those of you that grow them, are you able to tell if this 2 year old seedling is an American Chestnut? I started several a couple years ago from store bought seed.

1 Like