Chickasaw plum seedlings

Chickasaw plum seedlings from Mossy Oak Native Nursery. Planted maybe 3 years ago first time flowering. We shall see what the fruit turns out to. Louisville Kentucky.

8 Likes

I thought about buying a few this year myself. They are super cheap and I guess if they are no good they can be grafted over. I’m interested in the results as well.

1 Like

Good luck. Hope those turn out well for you. I found a patch of Chickasaw Plums on the family farm this spring and dug a few root suckers and put in pots at my home and will plant them here in the fall.

If nothing else, the dark bark is pretty neat looking and should be drought tolerant given some time.

1 Like

This is what my fruit looked like from my Native Plum trees. I got my seedlings from the state nursery in Louisiana before it was closed.

2 Likes

Nice. Did they taste good?

They were very tart, even the ones well ripened. They did make good jelly but too tart to eat fresh for me.

Very nice and healthy looking plants. I planted 3 whips 2 weeks ago sourced from Willis Orchard Co. Will follow this thread to see how yours turn out as you are not too far from me.

Thank you, I fertilized with urea last year and they put on incredible growth but they did not flower. This year I put some phosphorus on and they bloomed.

PC totally destroyed every fruit so I’m culling these trees. I have more growing on my property so I’m going to free up prime space. I planted these thinking that they would be low maintenance. I just don’t think it’s worth it to spray these every year for such small fruit l might as well grow full size plums. They also sucker unlike anything you’ve ever seen.