Chicken manure as an orchard and garden fertilizer

@figerama

Yes more or less nothing else is needed. When i kept chickens i mixed the manure with woodchips, grasses, weeds, leaves etc. to make compost. Chicken manure can be used directly but stay back from plants a ways when you apply it and dont overdue it.

2 Likes

Image 11-14-22 at 8.51 AM

I love my chickens. I only have 6 and they are not even a year old. Started with 7 but ā€˜Large Margeā€™ turned out to be a rooster. (He went to live across the street.)
I find chickens to be so entertaining and I love the little noises they make - very calming.
But then . . . not only am I a Crazy Chicken Lady . . . Iā€™m just a Crazy Animal Lady, in general.

I worry about Hawks. We have some that hang around . . . just waiting for an opportunity.
I know itā€™s inevitable, but Iā€™d hate to see ā€˜somebodyā€™ get carried away by a predator. We donā€™t let the chickens roam all day. The hawks seem to be present in the morning more than any other time of day. So I wait till around 2-3pm to open the coop door. Maybe theyā€™ll live to see their first Christmas!

Love the eggs. :heavy_heart_exclamation: Love the manure factor. :heavy_heart_exclamation: Only thing I donā€™t like about chickens is the fact that they wreak havoc in my flower beds. Oh . . . and of course - Poopy Shoes. :poop:
I keep 3 or 4 pairs of boots and easy-on-and-off shoes by my back door. A must.

Well . . . and I need to mention ā€˜one other problemā€™ with keeping chickens. :rat: :rat: :rat:
RATS! The 2 seem to go hand in hand . . .

3 Likes

Can you get sick if you inhale chicken poop dust? I have some bat guano but Iā€™m scared to get around it. The local bat experts said here in Florida not much to worry about but to wear a face mask when around it.

1 Like

Yes, you can get histoplasmosis. When you clean your coop or run, always wear a respirator. I learned the hard way.

3 Likes

Somewhere I saw a study that kids growing up playing in the mud (and other ā€˜naturalā€™ stuff) are far more resistant to infections and colds than city kids. Sorry, donā€™t have it handy to post here.

2 Likes

im a testament to that. been cleaning coops and pens my whole life. haying in a barn. got some hayfever but no illnesses. if you werenā€™t doing it your whole life id wear a mask or at least a hanker chief.

1 Like