Chill hours for Raspberries

Does anyone know a good web site to find the chill hours for all the raspberries being sold on-line?

I don’t think they require chill but don’t grow well in hot areas. Some like bababerry raspberry are more heat tolerant. All need some shade in hot areas.

1 Like

And make sure the shade is in the afternoon. They start to die if temperatures are over about 92-95 degrees in the sun. I did grow some for a couple of years. They did ok but soil diseases will kill them pretty quickly. And I had them in a raised bed that did not touch the ground. Dormand Red is one that is suppose to take heat the best but the taste is said to be bland.

1 Like

I was just going to add that all fruiting plants that go dormant in the winter to some extent and mark the seasons by a combination of temperature sensing and photoperiod sensing (specifically they have pigments that sense the length of the dark cycle at night).

For berries in general (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) it looks like photoperiod may be dominant. If they got some consistent winter like period, and then the photoperiod lines up, and it is warm, they usually figure out it is spring and they grow and fruit.

This is a really good question you ask because I was told to expect no raspberries except a couple cultivars to work in my inland southern California yard, and so far it looks like they all work, I just have to work around some of the temperature and soil and precipitation differences. Good luck in Florida, do you have local people there who have done this?

1 Like

I just moved here and don’t know anyone yet. The big box stores are selling Amity and Willamette raspberry. I ended up planting: Amity, Fall Gold, Bababerry, Anne, Dorman Red, Heritage, Double Gold and Willamette. They all get about 6 hours morning sun with evening shade, I guess I’ll see what happens.

I love my Fall Gold. Not exactly the easiest to grow or pick, but the flavor is just incredible.

1 Like