Chinese Red Date nursery

Just got 4 jujubes from them, I’m a first time buyer. They’re really nice trees, maybe 3/8” diameter with lots of roots.

4 Likes

What did you order?

I wish I knew about this nursery 2-3 years ago when I had sunny spots for jujubes. They offer interesting varieties. Dr. Yao’s involvement can only help.

1 Like

Alcalde #1, Russian #2, Sandia, Redland. I think they’re a relatively new nursery.

2 Likes

Thinking about ordering Russia #2, Winter, and Sihong. Any other varieties are must have from them? I already have HJ, Sugarcane, Autumn Beauty, Chico, Contorteds, Black Sea, etc. It’s near time to contact them.

Russia#2 is supposedly very very good; mines only 1 year old; its small fruit , & supposedly a shy bearer. I love my Shihong here in Dallas. Is “Winter” the “Winter Delight”?–its been ok to good for me, but its not the best

Alcalde#1 is supposedly a good large cultivar, I’ve got one of those planted but is hasn’t fruited for me yet.

Looks like you’ll have a World Class collection!

I don’t know if Winter is Winter Delight, but hope so. Is Redlands worth growing in North TX? My HJ in container has not leafed out, is it usually late to wake up?

I’ve heard good things about Redlands, including from another poster here in Dallas; it may be slightly better than Li. I hope to get some fruit this year. My jujubee’s have just started leafing out in the past week. I don’t remember Honeyjar being later than the rest, but I haven’t been recording any data.

What is the protocol to place an order with Chinese Red Date orchard? I ask because his response is so random. In May I had sent an email asking for availability. Dr. Yao’s husband replied the same day saying check back in July. Late July, I sent an email placing order of Sandia and Honey Jar, no answer. I sent another email a few days later, he responded almost 4 weeks later with pricing for Sandia ($60) and Honey Jar ($50).
I replied to that email with all my information and asked for method of payment. It has been a week, and there is still no response. Based on mine and others’ (Facebook Jujube group) experiences, he only replies to some of the emails.
I’m not sure if my order will go through.
Is there a secret word or phrase I need to use?

1 Like

He didn’t reply to my email last year either, in fact I knew he read it because he changed the minimum order is 5 scions per variety on his website right away. I did take a snap shot of his site before I sent him an email, that’s how I know.

1 Like

I now see why my order was ignored. I only order two trees instead of 4 or more.
I really want Sandia, but this is not worth it.
I’m going to place an order with Grow Organic for Honey Jar and Sugar cane. Thanks.

1 Like

Bay Laurel nursery is now open for ordering, they have all kinds of jujube trees there. I think they are maybe a tad cheaper than GrowOrganic and if you buy 5 fruit trees, you get some discount.

2 Likes

Thank you. I think Grow Organic is actually cheaper (by a few dollars) with its sale of $10 off per tree and cheaper shipping ($30 vs $40 from Bay Laurel) to East coast. The only downside is Grow Organic’s shipping in January. Since Bob spoke highly of GO, I think I’ll give hole digging in winter a try, it’s doable in my area (zone 7a, northern Virginia).

2 Likes