Chip budding question

I messed up a couple of grafts of Pomme Gris this year through sheer clumsiness, and decided to try chipping in a bud from a piece of scion wood I had kept in the refrigerator. The wood didn’t look great, but I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried it.

Fast forward a few weeks and decided to unwrap it. It appears to have healed in nicely, but is quite dark. I wonder if it’s alive or dead.

So: Will a growing tree accept a non-viable bud? Thanks!

2 Likes

Last year I did Apple chip budding. I opened half and
kept half unwrapped till Spring. Opened ones almost all dead, just a few survived.

2 Likes

If the actual bud is non-viable, but the wood around it is viable - yes, it will accept the whole “bud”. If there is no viable wood - no.
In this particular case the bud may look good, but that is usually true for most buds immediately after unwrapping them. Wait a week and you will know for sure.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I won’t be forcing the bud until spring, so probably no way to know before then; we’re in a nice Indian Summer right now, but it will be winter soon enough. Maybe in May!

1 Like

Mark, I have several grafts of Pomme Gris and I’ve found it to be a survivor. Hope it’s viable for you next spring!

2 Likes

The first time I chip budded apples, some of my buds were as dark as those in the photo. I did 4 varieties and the bud colors were all different. I was sure the dark ones were dead.
The following spring 8 out of 10 I budded worked! Don’t give up yet.

4 Likes

So the buds (if still alive) should be good over another winter? If so, I may have one more JT-02 persimmon that will just need a nudge come spring.

2 Likes

I’m hoping!

1 Like