Chojuro Asian pears

Dax,
That’s correct not even euro pears flower a late as those two pears. That also means those two pears can dodge freezes or get hit by freezes that miss the others which is typically a huge advantage.

2 Likes

Here is a pic of my 4-in-1 Asian pear from Raintree. Just about all of the ones you see are Chojuro. I also have a few Yongi and Kosui but I don’t think they are shown. Probably still have 3 weeks to go. Last year it set lots of Shinseiki but none this year. I think the tree is 3 years old. Shinseiki bore fruit the first two.

5 Likes

You can use pineapple pear or any early blooming variety of European. Korean Giant and Chojuro are late bloomers and to overlap you’ll need an early blooming European.

Asianpearpollinationchart.pdf (107.6 KB)

2 Likes

I saw Chojuro Asian pears at Home Depot last night and bought the “good” looking one today after reading about it here. This is going right where the Korean Giant used to be. I dropped a hemlock tree on top of it.

The “nice” Chojuro was sitting right next to the cashier’s booth at the garden center and, with this being a heavily Chinese area, I didn’t want to risk it being bought so I went right after dropping off my son at school and brought it home in the old sedan rather than waiting for my wife to return from work with the SUV.

Hopefully it’s not a mislabeled tree but it’s definitely an Asian pear. Would it be worthwhile letting some of them fruit? Also, I see it’d be easy to let it form into a central leader. Is it OK to just prune it today before or after transplanting it? And does anyone have an idea what rootstock Home Depot’s supplier uses?

The tree:

A fruitlet:

You can see here how I can easily prune one of the branches to form a central leader. You can see some of my much smaller trees from Cummins circa 2020 in the background. I need to replace that 2x4 and put in a taller post so I can tie them down so they don’t grow crooked. I also need a little bit of topsoil, grass seed, and straw for that patch. It was where a giant hemlock hedge used to be.

3 Likes

I would just leave it alone and enjoy it. My chojuro has stayed small anyway.

1 Like

If there is no other label telling you what nursery the tree came from, perhaps you can call the Home Depot you bought the tree. You can explain to them that you are trying to find out what rootstock your tree was grafted to and ask for the name of the nursery. They should be able to give you that information, that way you can call the nursery and ask them directly.

3 Likes