Christmas eve day marche in Uzes FR

25 Likes

@mrsg47

Looks like a wonderful time in France!

2 Likes

It was a beautiful day.

2 Likes

@mrsg47

Love the looks of the non gmo pastries or breads and other things i see you post there.

2 Likes

Joyeaux Noel Madame G!

4 Likes

Merci! La meme a toi

2 Likes

Oh! I see real olive oil for sale in that 4th picture!

Good for the French. They still ‘estate bottle’ their olive oil.

2 Likes

Yes they do and the best is Corneille! About an hour and 15 minutes from my house . Their picholine oil is incredible. The the domaines are their moulins(mill).

3 Likes

Not only in France, a lot of small operations produce olive oil in California. There are many offerings of “estate bottled” olive oil from California online, but it isn’t cheap. I make my own olive oil from a dozen of different varieties, and I think it’s at least as good as anything money can buy. A problem with many (but not all) California olive oil makers is that they make a “mild” oil from late harvest fruit, because this is what most American customers prefer. I prefer a more “pungent” oil from early harvest fruit but I like to experiment with varieties and maturities just for a fun of trying oils with different flavors and bouquets.

5 Likes

Not knowing much about olive oil extraction, I thought cold press is hard to achieve at small scale. Or is it just a matter of freezing the olives and using a traditional press?

1 Like

I don’t freeze and don’t press at all. I just place the olive mass (after crushing and malaxation) into a colander lined with a cheesecloth and let the oil to drip down into a container.

P.S. Cold press just means that you don’t heat up the olive mass before pressing (heating increases the yield and reduces the oil quality). I don’t heat and do all processing at ambient temperature.

2 Likes

Is your malaxation done with a machine?

With a kitchen stand mixer (two mixers, to be precise, and I probably will buy a third one).

2 Likes