Cinnamon Spice apple

I was at a fall fruit show a couple years ago and while tasting the ‘Cinnamon Spice’ apple (that really did have cinnamon flavor), there was talk about how there seems to be two apples circulating under this name since some people have apples with no cinnamon flavor. I wonder if Neil Collins got unlucky and got the mislabeled clone that’s been going around. The ‘Laxton’s Fortune’ is described as having hints of anise (which some people would describe as “licorice”) and banana, not cinnamon.

Edit: After re-reading the thread I’m now not sure if you were saying Neil Collins was vouching for ‘Laxton’s Fortune’ being the same as ‘Cinnamon Spice’ or for ‘Red Cinnamon’ being the same as ‘Cinnamon Spice’.

1 Like

A Finish apple called Kaneliomena is sometimes referred to as the Cinnamon Spice apple. It also shows up as Yellow Cinnamon.

1 Like

@39thparallel i did some checking for you. punakaneli is aka red cinnamon. The story is “It’s and old variety of Russian origin, that has spread to finland during the imperial times by travelling russian merchants.”

images-1
Omena_Punakaneli
images
download-1
download

"
Tuotenumero: 500666799
EAN-koodi: 6419127653145
Punakaneli on syysomenalajike, jonka sato kypsyy syyskuun lopulla. Hedelmien maku on raikas, kanelinen ja hienostunut, ja malto on mehukas ja tiivis. Puu on kookas, ja siinä on pitkät pystyt oksat. Latvus on riippuva ja tarvitsee paljon tilaa.

• kasvukorkeus 400–600 cm
• leveys 300–500 cm
• menestymisvyöhykkeet I–V

Omenapuut muodostavat suomalaisen puutarhan perustan, ja ne istutetaankin usein kunniapaikalle pihan keskelle. Touko-kesäkuun vaihteessa valkoisina kukkivat omenapuut ovat kauniita ja myöhemmin kypsyvät hedelmät maukkaita, terveellisiä, monikäyttöisiä ja helposti sellaisenaankin syötäviä.

Omenapuu on hyvä yleispölyttäjä. Omena on ristipölytteinen: hedelmöittyäkseen kukan on saatava toisen lajikkeen siitepölyä. Siksi puutarhaan kannattaa hankkia vähintään kahta eri omenalajiketta. Jos pihaan mahtuu vain yksi omenapuu, vaihtoehtona on hankkia perheomenapuu, johon on samaan puuhun vartettu useampia lajikkeita.

Omenapuut jaetaan kesä-, syys- ja talvilajikkeisiin. Varhaisimmat kesäomenat kypsyvät elokuun puolivälissä, syysomenat taas syyskuun alusta lähtien. Talviomenat poimitaan puusta hieman raakoina syys-lokakuun vaihteessa ja kypsytetään varastossa.

HOITO-OHJEET:
Omenapuu viihtyy ravinteikkaassa ja hyvin kalkitussa mullassa, aurinkoisella paikalla. Istuta omenapuut 3–5 metrin välein. Kastele runsaasti kerran tai kuivina kausina kahdesti viikossa, kunnes taimet ovat juurtuneet kunnolla. Omenapuut tuetaan istutuksen yhteydessä kahdella tukiseipäällä, jotka pidetään 2–3 kasvukautta. Sidokset tulee tarkastaa vuosittain. Satoikäisen puun kastelu kuivina jaksoina parantaa sadon laatua ja määrää.

Jos omenapuu tuottaa runsaasti raakileita, niitä kannattaa harventaa, jotta hedelmät eivät jäisi kovin pieniksi. Omenapuu tulee leikata keväisin ennen silmujen puhkeamista, jotta se kasvaisi ilmavasti ja tasaisesti. Talven ajaksi runko on syytä suojata myyriltä ja jäniksiltä tiheällä metalliverkolla."

Product number: 500666799 EAN code: 6419127653145 Red cinnamon is an autumn apple variety, the harvest of which ripens at the end of September. The taste of the fruit is fresh, cinnamon and refined, and the malt is juicy and dense. The tree is large and has long upright branches. The canopy is hanging and needs a lot of space. • growth height 400–600 cm • width 300–500 cm • success zones I–V Apple trees form the basis of a Finnish garden, and they are often planted in a place of honor in the middle of the yard. The apple trees that bloom white at the turn of May-June are beautiful and the fruits that ripen later are tasty, healthy, versatile and easy to eat as is. The apple tree is a good general pollinator. The apple is cross-pollinated: in order to be fertilized, the flower must receive pollen from another variety. That’s why you should get at least two different apple varieties for your garden. If there is only one apple tree in the yard, an alternative is to get a family apple tree, which has several varieties grafted onto the same tree. Apple trees are divided into summer, autumn and winter varieties. The earliest summer apples ripen in mid-August, autumn apples from the beginning of September. Winter apples are picked from the tree a little raw at the turn of September-October and ripened in storage. CARE INSTRUCTIONS: The apple tree thrives in nutrient-rich and well-calcified soil, in a sunny location. Plant apple trees every 3-5 meters. Water abundantly once or in dry seasons twice a week until the seedlings are well rooted. When planting, the apple trees are supported with two support wedges, which are kept for 2–3 growing seasons. Bandages should be inspected annually. Watering a harvestable tree during dry periods improves the quality and quantity of the harvest. If the apple tree produces a lot of raw fruit, you should thin them out so that the fruit does not remain very small. The apple tree should be cut in the spring before the buds break, so that it grows airy and evenly. During the winter, the frame should be protected from moles and hares with a dense metal net.

"Red-striped autumn apple. Traditional and strongly cinnamony. Suitable for eating fresh and juicing.

Lasts for 4-6 weeks."

@39thparallel the yellow cinnamon apple your looking for is called omenapuu Keltakaneli or just Keltakaneli

Yellow cinnamon literally means Keltakaneli

images

Alkuperältään venäläinen vanha lajike 1850-luvulta ( Koritshnoje Polosatoje). Kanelilajikkeiden keltainen värimuunnos. Hedelmä keltainen, punaviiruinen, voimakkaan kanelimausteinen. Kestävä ja terve, myöhäis- ja runsassatoinen, hyvä pölyttäjä. Mainio luomulajike.

Originally an old Russian variety from the 1850s ( Koritshnoje Polosatoje). Yellow color variant of cinnamon varieties. The fruit is yellow, with red stripes, with a strong cinnamon flavor. Durable and healthy, late and abundant harvester, good pollinator. An excellent organic variety.

2-Kauppinen oral pres of fruits Riga 17.8.16.pdf (1.2 MB)

3 Likes

I’ve had a dark red sparton and it had the whitest flesh ive ever seen and tasted a lot like cinnamon.

1 Like

@Taylorinshirewood

Have heard of that apple and the flavor. Seems some people consider it vinous and others say almost clove like when dead ripe. Thanks for that description. Im assuming you let your get dead ripe on the tree?

1 Like

My mother brought them home from church, it was late november when we recieved them, all a dark red color. One of them had some moist dirt that felt a lot like worm castings, so they were probably harvested off the ground, and were fully ripen on the tree. I saw no holes, or codling moth damage, little to no bruises surprisingly as well. I don’t know the man who has the tree personally.

2 Likes