Cinnamon Spice apple

Descriptions of this apple claim it has a cinnamon taste but like many other apples the reviews are not so clear on it having a cinnamon taste. I was going to order some scion wood for this variety and give it a try as a comparison to a wild apple I found that I thought also had a hint of cinnamon taste to it. However it looks like it is susceptible to scab. Any one grow this variety and how well did it do for you?

3 Likes

I benchgrafted some trees last year for a customer. Didnt seem to be very vigorous growers in my nursery.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know. But Bill Merrill is growing it in Fremont, Calif and claims it indeed has a spicy flavor:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=joCwPh5D8Ts

P.S. I donā€™t know Bill personally, but I know some other forum members do. I am just a fan of his fruit videos:

4 Likes

Old Russian heirloom available through ARS called Korichnoe polosatoe translated as Cinnamon striped. This is good tasting early autumn apple, do not keep well. It had unique spicy aftertaste although I do not remember how close it was to cinnamon. The apples were prized for preserves because of their ability to keep whole when cooked. Very winter hardy and tip bearer. There is another apple called Korichnoe novoe (Cinnamon new), which is the seedling of the old heirloom. It is supposed to look the same but to have larger apples and better tree structure, late autumn ripeness. Nothing is said about its taste though. Iā€™ve ordered Korichnoe polosatoe and I am going to graft it this spring.

3 Likes

Here is the link with the description of Korichnoe polosatoe from one of the Russian websites. The page was translated to English but the translation is not ideal.

Korichnoe polosatoe

1 Like

Have had Cinnamon Spice growing here for nearly 20 years. Never ever tasted anything even remotely suggestive of cinnamon when I bothered to to sample them. Was it true to label name? I dunnoā€¦ got at least one other tree from that nursery (the now-defunct Bear Creek) that was definitely not the variety stated.
Itā€™s still out there in the orchard, but Iā€™ve abandoned all but a handful of the (at one time 60 varieties) apples I planted as not worth my time to care for, harvest, or attempt to eat.
Scab-susceptible? Maybe. I donā€™t ever really pay it any attentionā€¦ just havenā€™t gotten around to chainsaw-pruning it (and many others) at ground level.

1 Like

I love Billā€™s videos. I donā€™t know him personally, either, and our growing conditions are vastly different, but heā€™s a wealth of information, and very enjoyable to watch. He also replies to most comments on his videos.

You might consider checking with Trees of Antiquity. It has the variety available and I have found the people there experienced with and knowledgeable about the apples it offers.

I have Cinnamon Spice and Red Cinnamon for which there is no information available. The are both 2 year trees yet to set fruit. If you want to give them a try, I can send scion.

2 Likes

Sounds good 39thparallel I owe you a lot ! Will do my best to repay your kindness in the future !

Best apple I have grown or tasted. I am located in zone 7 NC and it does exceptionally well in the southeast, at least in my part of the south. I have seen scab but usually less on this cultivar than others, overall I consider it pretty resistant to many diseases. It is not a huge apple but is very productive and sweet with a spicy aftertaste to me. I have 2 different friends that each ordered and planted one of these after tasting fruit from my tree and one is not a gardener at all. The other guy was in his late 70ā€™s at the time and has gardened all his life but told me that was the best apple he had ever tasted.

4 Likes

Not a apple for eating out of hand but the street treeā€™s we have are crab apples the size of marbles if you make a hot tea with the very acidic fruit it has a cinnamon taste to it after adding sugar.

If you air dry it loses the acid taste, and is sweet does not have any cinnamon taste after.

1 Like

Has anyone else noticed that ā€˜Cinnamon Spiceā€™ has very dwarf growing tendency? My original tree is significantly smaller than any other apple variety I grafted at the same time as it (a handful of years ago). Last year I cut some scion from it and grafted it on top of a very vigorous ā€˜Winter Bananaā€™. I gave it the prime position where it would have apical dominance. I put three grafts on the top of the cut main trunk and all three took and grew well, but by well I mean ā€œhealthyā€. They were still very small at the end of the season compared to other varieties on the same tree.

Iā€™m not complaining by any means. I am just speculating that this might end up being a great variety for those limited on space if they want a tree that might stay very small with little to no manipulation for size control.

1 Like

I have 3 trees each on M.106 and G.222 and all are less than vigorous trees, healthy but not vigorous as you state.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear confirmation. I wonder if anyone with an older tree of this clone could show us a picture of it mature (mine is still a long ways off of mature).

Are Cinnamon Spice and Laxtonā€™s Fortune the same cultivars ?

I had never heard of ā€˜Laxtonā€™s Fortuneā€™, but based on the descriptions on Pomiferous (my go to for obscure varieties), they seem to be discernably different apples from each other (flavor, ripening time, color, origins, etc.).

Neil Collins at TOA does report these to be the same apple, though I think that this was only fairly recently recognized. Not sure who made that determination.

Cinnamon Spice seems like an interesting apple. Iā€™m able to find it in shops near me occasionally and while itā€™s never been distinctly cinnamon, it usually has a spicy and strongly licorice flavor. Very pretty fruits, too, though quickly mushy. Itā€™s unusual enough that Iā€™ll probably plant it eventually and see how it does outside of a grocery store.

1 Like

Good to know it gets mushy quickly. I almost bought one but decided to hold off. Glad I did not buy one. My family doesnā€™t enjoy apples that get mushy like that. The name sounds great though, enough to think about buying one.