Citrus Greening aka Huanglongbing (HLB)?

Is this Citrus Greening/Huanglongbing on these Persian Limes I recently acquired? Do I need to destroy them?

Wouldn’t want them infecting my lemon or new kumquats.

1 Like

Yes, discoloration is irregular for greening. Live in Florida?

2 Likes

Kentucky, actually. All of my citrus will have to be potted specimens. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was afraid of that. At first I thought it might be a deficiency, but noticed it was all asymmetrical. I guess I’m probably too far north for known vectors, but one can never be too careful.

Well, that will teach me to buy stuff from Hirt’s.

1 Like

With that asymmetrical mottling it could be.
But without the psyllid vector it should not spread.
So the Ky. Citrus industry should be safe. :grinning:
And I think your other citrus too.
Not sure the range of the psyllid . Don’t think it this far north ?

3 Likes

If that is really HLB i think you should report hirts for spreading the virulence.

Personally this is what i think pesticides are for and why i am against the overuse of them so they work when you need them too.

Wouldn’t the psyllid be able to establish in greenhouses or indoors?

2 Likes

i agree with others that it does look like hlb. When i lived in the tropics, practically all large-fruited citrus had it. Calamondins and smaller limes seem to be immune. or asymptomatic if in fact were infected.

i actually agree with your advice-joke hybrid as it is a practical approach being theoretically self-limiting with presumed absence of vectors, and taking into account usda zone. Certain though that others will vehemently disagree for the understandable reason that hlb is considered a serious pest. .

3 Likes

Can spread by grafting

1 Like

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I’m going to destroy these, as I understand the disease is incurable and ultimately affects production and lifespan. Also, I wouldn’t mind playing around with citrus propagation in the future, and certainly don’t wish to use material from a diseased tree.

Probably too late to ask for a refund from Hirt’s as I’ve had these around since late summer/early fall (I sort of neglected them with everything that’s been going on here of late, save for feeding, some prophylactic spraying, and a vague hope that whatever was going on with them would clear up with feeding), but I’ll let them know that their supplier may have sent them HLB-infected citrus.

I fully agree with @RichardRoundTree about selective pesticide use. I’ve seen one pest that wasn’t supposed to be able to live in cold winters climates wreak havoc on figs here after I acquired it on cuttings from other cold winter areas, and that experience definitely left me a fan of careful phytosanitation! These limes, like every plant I now receive in the mail, were quarantined, examined and treated for spider mites and hopefully anything else along for the ride. No citrus psyllids here! :wink:

Again, thank you, fellow growers! Folks like you are what make this forum a valuable resource.

3 Likes

Psyllids can’t survive a freeze

2 Likes

I would contact your county extension agent or your state ag department and see if they will test them for you. That way they and you will know if your trees have it. No use killing trees if they do not have greening. Not sure you can just look at trees and know they have it.

1 Like