Citrus tolerant of 0 degrees

@Chills

OGW just listed these today.

1 Like

Thank youā€¦

I am ordering today

1 Like

I put my ā€˜Changshaā€™ mandarin to the test this winter. I left it out and unprotected. The lowest we hit here was 12F, but only briefly. The lowest sustained temperature was more like 14F, at least according to the closest weather station. Itā€™s been thawed back out for a few days now, and I donā€™t see any super obvious signs of damage yet.

On a side note, I wish I could get a hold of the ā€œprecocious trifoliateā€, but where does one get this?

2 Likes

Funny enough, this yearā€™s fairly mild winter has killed my Changsha dead. For whatever reason, it failed to establish itself and lagged all my other plants for growth, and kept having issues with chlorosis. First hard freeze in the mid twenties knocked it back severely, and by the New Year all the leaves had fallen and the stem was mostly dull brown. After the recent cold spell into the upper teens, itā€™s pretty toast.

I might try again with it, but honestly probably wonā€™t, my satsumas established themselves far better and have taken almost no damage (they did get more protection, but stillā€¦). And given itā€™s a parent of a number of trifoliate crosses, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve much use for it for breeding either.

Iā€™m curious about what was going on with the roots of your ā€˜Changshaā€™ if you feel like digging it up and taking a look. Do you know what rootstock it was on?

It was on trifoliate or a trifoliate hybrid. Iā€™ll wait until spring to see if anything still alive or if the rootstock is also dead and if so Iā€™ll dig it up.

1 Like

We have a Kumquat that we have given up on twice. But, last year it began new growth in June.

How old/big was your changsha?

Iā€™ve had it for a few years. It is a few feet tall.

Oh nice, I just got my changsha from one green world. I was surprised at how small and expensive it was. Are you keeping it in a pot fulltime outside?

Iā€™m going to try planting Thomasville Citrangequat, Taiwanica lemon, and Nippon Orangequat in zone 7a. Iā€™m hoping to grow acceptable lime/lemon substitutes for cooking. Do rabbits and deer try to destroy citrus (like they do everything else including joy)?

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen a varmint of any sort near my trifoliate orange plants. Something about 3 inch spikes all over a plant seems to deter them.

Yeah I canā€™t imagine any animal messing with them ever.