Clara Frijs Pear

I grafted Clara Frijs along with luscious Magness Seckel, and Patten onto an 60 year old tree five years ago. All othe varieties have fruited from year two. Clara is playing coy. It has not fruited though it has sported fruitbuds for the past three years. However the buds look immature, the way fruitbuds looks when they just form in summer. This fall is the first time they look fat and big so I’m hoping 2019 is the year. I received scionwood. From. GRIN.

1 Like

I’m growing it on callery rootstock but my experience is identical to yours. If someone plants a new bench graft they may wait 15 years.

Maybe a mad scientist figured out the best way to avoid fire blight in a pear – make sure it never produces :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s amazingly accurate lol!

I grafted Clara Frijs on OHxF 333 on @clarkinks advice hoping to cut the production time in half. I still have some in the nursery if anyone is looking for the variety.

1 Like

They will produce pears quickly on ohxf333.

1 Like

Clara frijs are beautiful pears! If you grow it just prepare yourself for a long wait until it fruits!

11 Likes

Finally see what it looks like. Hope it tastes good too

1 Like

Does FB only strike fruiting trees ? I did not know that…

1 Like

Its more likely for fireblight to strike fruiting trees because fb only attacks rapidly growing tissues such as blooms. Since fb is a bacteria it responds well to copper pre bloom sprays in early spring.

So what did your CF taste like, was it worth the wait?

1 Like

It reminds me of what the taste of rome is to apples. The texture is of the highest quality if you like the texture which i do in small doses at times. Im not sure i care for them to eat fresh but certainly would love them baked in the oven.

2 Likes

Thanks. Well, I don’t think Rome is that good of an apple, so maybe CF isn’t all that? Is the texture gritty or no?

I still haven’t figured out what those pears were that I picked last season. They were pretty gritty and not too sweet, maybe this year they’ll be better.

1 Like

They are not gritty they are very very soft and melting. They would be many growers favorite pear. They have been very easy to grow but be prepared to wait they take a long time to produce and my first crops have been light. Warren, magness and others do not take as long as clara frijs.

4 Likes

Clara frijs is truly exceptional this year so much so some were stolen by animals. So sugary sweet you can see an ant hole in this one. Today is August 21 21. For some reason I thought for years Clara frijs would be small but they are as large as Harrow delight. Nearly Bartlett aka Williams sized.

8 Likes

Picked the last several Clara frijs today it’s a large delicious pear well worth growing. Highly recommend it. It takes awhile to produce fruit so the sooner you get one in the ground the better.

This one had a little bruise on the backside from the storm 2 days ago which caused it to ripen early.

6 Likes

Clark, so it turns yellowish when is ripe?

1 Like

Mine is on p comunis, grafted 10 years ago and bearing its first fruit this season. I picked one a few days back and let it soften a bit on the counter, very nice flavor and texture on this one plus the fruit came out quite clean from my no spray orchard- yay Clara!

3 Likes

10 Likes

Just how big is that? Over a pound? Yum! I think I need to graft a limb

1 Like