Clara Frijs Pear

230 g

1 Like

Is it still fireblight resistant after fruiting Clark, or did it become susceptible. Those pears look great!

Steve

1 Like

@SteveThorn it’s firelight resistant on every tree after fruiting

1 Like

Is Clara Frijs a summer or fall storage pear? Or does it ripen on the tree?

@jxz7245

The posts I put out there about it show the ripening dates eg. August 21st (see above). Thanks

My Clara Frijs (thanks Clark for sharing the scion) has flower buds this year after 4~5 years of waiting. I can’t wait to taste it.

1 Like

@IL847

Annie the first year I found it not as good but tasted some potential. The second year it lived up to its reputation as a good pear.

1 Like

Clark, good to know and thanks for sharing the info.

1 Like

Clark,
When possible, could you please post the pic of fruit? I wonder if mine is correctly labeled.

1 Like

@mamuang

There are pictures above and on other threads.

2 Likes

Honestly, a lot of these pears look similar :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Maxine is greenish like this, too.

2 Likes

Clara fries does not consistently flower or fruit for me. This may be a challenging pear to grow at my location. It takes a long time to bear fruit. No sign of fireblight or other disease. 2 or 3 branches might be covered in blooms and no other part of the tree is blooming.

My graft that labeled Clara Frijs is flowering this year. I’ll find out if it is Clara.

1 Like

With the common usage of Bartlett in breeding programs, maybe we are overusing it in our approach. and should be using CF for flavor and disease resistance. I like bartlett and my homegrown was the best ever, but want less early pick and refrigeration.

3 Likes

@noogy

I’ve said that many years now Bartlett aka Williams is very much over used in breeding. Barsick is another pear like that.

1 Like

@JesseinMaine @IL847

What did you think of Clara frijs? Didn’t care for it the first year loved it every year since then.

3 Likes

I thought it was quite nice, good size, flavor and texture plus quite clean in my no-spray orchard- it’s a definite winner

1 Like

Clara frijs have a strange behavior that in my experience helps to identify them. I’ve noticed the trunks all are never round. They have unique trunks that have a somewhat misshapen block like appearance. Those unique lines to the trunk really help to identify them. At first you will mistake them for round but look closer. This one that i grafted to a highly incompatible and difficult to graft callery is more pronounced than others

In my experience my other pears are round. The callery Clara frijs is grafted to in the photo has a round trunk not the unique blocky trunk Clara frijs has. Here is another Clara frijs that’s more pronounced

1 Like

Bad news im seeing some fireblight strikes for the first time. This is bad news for clara frijs.

1 Like

More bad news- porcupines hammered my CF and other pear trees badly this year

2 Likes