Clara Frijs Pear

Jesse,
When in Aug you picked Clara Frijs.

I found this pear on the ground under a multi-grafted pear tree. Clara Frijs is one of the graft. Pics from each side.

How long do you refrigerate them?

2 Likes

I honestly don’t recall, I did eat some right off the tree too!

1 Like

@mamuang

They are removed from the tree here around August 21st this year and last. Your 1 week later than me on some pears. It makes sense yours would be ripe. Clara frijs is my only pear on time.

Thanks. @JesseinMaine and @clarkinks
Mine should be ready this coming week.

My problem is I have two grafts of pears that the fruit look the same. One has a tag labeled Clara Frijs (the fruit in the pic). The other I lost the label but fruit looks the same to me.

But I don’t recall making two grafts of the same variety.

1 Like

@mamuang

Taste will tell you for sure. Clara frijs is very fine grained , melting, high sugar, high quality. It has no sour taste to it. The first year i had one i felt put off by the somewhat mealy creamy texture a bit as i found it blan. The first year it was mealy like a rome apple or an overipe apple. The second year i grew to love it and realized what it was supposed to taste like. Its a high quality pear that will be obviously very different from all your other pears. My taste needed to adjust to the difference. Your aware i like sour taste more than you but this high quality pear has none at all. A pear connoisseur might throw out the famous comice for clara frijs. Its a preference but i prefer the more complexed flavors of my small yellow pear over both. If the flavor is easily described it can be considered boring. The small yellow pear has a taste not easily described. Love the somewhat spicy flavor of harrow sweet, or the sour bartlett like flavor of harrow delight, or the comice like flavor of warren or magness, or the sugary sweet asian pear, european mixed taste of drippin honey, the anjou like flavor of potomac all of which are good pears. Clara frijs is in a class of its own because its different from any of those pears i normally love yet it is very high quality. Saying this i still prefer the small yellow pear and many others to clara frijs not because its quality is lacking but because of my own preference.

3 Likes

I left a Clara Frijs on the counter (no refrigeration) for about a week. Ate it yesterday. Like you described, it is a fine-grained and sweet pear. It probably is another pear that does not need refrigeration.
It has a nice medium to large size, too.

A few more dropped today. I did a tilt-pick of others, they did not come off. But again, tilting method is not always reliable way to figure out ripening pears, either.

I got a few today and will pick some on later dates.

7 Likes

Jesse,
Do you refrigerate these pears at all? If so, how long?

1 Like

I have tried just counter ripening

3 Likes

Thanks, Jesse. I will do the same.

I bare have room left in the fridge, anyway. Apples are packed in there.

1 Like

Hundreds of Clara frijs pears this year on the trees. One tree was removed due to the fireblight. No pears are safe from fireblight this year. This tree looks great. A truly high quality pear that is different is always welcome! Some people will call this their favorite pear!

6 Likes