Clarkinks 2021 / 2022 recommended pears everyone must have

Such a ridiculously helpful thread. Thanks!

2 Likes

Ok…18 years?! Now that is some patience. Is this a known issue with this variety?

2 Likes

Some pears deserve the reputation of “pears for your heirs” . I have an unknown variety going on 15 years. Ayers is another that takes over 10 -12 years to produce in Kansas on Standard rootstock. It’s partially about location because warren that is famous for its delayed fruiting produced quickly for me in Kansas. Ayers that is fast to bear in the south is delayed for me.

5 Likes

I grafted Warren since 2015. Now it is 2021, still no sign of blooms. Every pear grafted after Warren has fruited for me.

My Ayers graft started fruited in year 3 and every year since.

2 Likes

My Clapps on OHxF97 will be entering it’s 11’th season for me this spring. I’d be thrilled if it would give me it’s first bloom.

1 Like

It’s so fascinating it’s the exact opposite here. Magness strangely is taking off blooming this year for me on ohxf333. Warren on callery once again has a full crop. Warren is a light producer in the first place. I grafted half the tree to warren and half to Karls favorite having been told the blooms are challenging to pollinate of warren. Did growing it with Karl’s favorite make the difference ? That’s a question that can only be duplicated by repeating the experiment. Hormones in a tree can change once it starts fruiting so did the Karl’s favorite trigger the response? Could the callery rootstock be the influence? All questions I don’t have answers for but noone can argue with the results.

2 Likes

Most of my Euro pears are grafted on my Blake Pride (which is on OHxF 97). There are 10+ varieties on the tree. Every graft fruited by year 3 except for Warren.

Warren has not produced one single flower. If it ever flowers, I have no doubt it will be cross-pollinated by some of those varieties,

2 Likes

I have a couple of Bosc pear grafts going on 5th years now and no flower yet.

1 Like

@AndySmith it’s going to produce soon, your very close. It typically takes 10 -16 years and Clapps favorite is totally worth the wait!

4 Likes

I need a good pear to plant in north Texas. The Warren has mixed reviews but that’s the top recommendation from A&M.

1 Like

Tippy, one of your sions has a few, don’t know what variety it is, lost all the tags.

2 Likes

Bob,
I am not good at noticing differences in pears at this stage. Harrow Sweet is very quick to flower and fruit. That would be my guess.

1 Like

Most of my trees are young so far, but our biggest problem here in the prairie is early warmups causing early bloom and then the hard late freezes destroying our crop. Pitoma Slanopadja and Harvest Queen are my two latest bloomers here in south central Kansas, even later than many of my apples, so they may work in your/my climate considering our climates are prone to the late freeze damage. Blakes pride and Mac and Warren are looking later bloom too than most of the more common pears. I havent tasted any of these yet though!
I would for sure recommend late bloom for you in north TX though!
Pitoma Slanopadja:

Harvest Queen:

Harrow Sweet (which is earlier, but still later than Keiffer etc).

3 Likes

Yesterday at the nursery all they had was Keifer. I think I’m too late for Bare root so it looks like I won’t be planting pears until next year. Such a bummer. And yes we always have a warm up and then a late freeze. I’m looking at forecast for Tuesday night and it’s a low of 33degrees. My tomatoes and peppers are still in the greenhouse thankfully.

1 Like

Are Slanopadja and Harvest Queen able to pollinate each other?

1 Like

Directory of Pear Cultivars-Martin Crawford 1961

I don’t find Pitoma Slanopadja / Slanopadja among my (2) pear resources.

3 Likes

‘Pitoma slanopadja’, is a natural pear hybrid between Pyrus amygdaliformis and P. communis

You can request scions here NCGR-Corvallis: Pyrus Catalog
Pi 483405 https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1378341

4 Likes

I like when species merge. Some cool oaks…

1 Like

It’s so interesting the differences in pears from one location to another. Ayers takes so long to produce here I wish I knew why that is. Warren and Leona and others known to be delayed in flowering bloomed very quickly for me. Ayers and Warren are just 2 pears that seemed to have reversed roles at my location but oddly Clapps favorite seems to be delayed fruiting everywhere. Clapps is a really good pear so it is worth the wait.

3 Likes

If scion is taken from an older tree, will it fruit earlier? I know all scion should be new wood no matter the age of the tree. The reason I ask is I grafted shinko onto my espalier pear and it was absolutely loaded with fruit the next spring. The root stock was large and about 6 years old. Also, the branch, being espalier, was horizontal to the ground. Maybe shinko is very precocious? Korean Giant only took two years to fruit after grafting.

1 Like