Clark's Small Yellow Pear

The trees spur up alot as they age. This is one of my trees

5 Likes

My threat to remove it seems to work. I scare it to produce. :smile:
I saw 4 flower buds on one branch. Other branches still don’t have flower buds.

Not sure if it will set fruit. It is grafted on the same tree as Magness which has several flower buds.

1 Like

@mamuang

Better use a paint brush on both sets of blooms since magness has sterile pollen. Congratulations on flowers i hope you get fruit! The fruit is normally not good the first year but your location is different so they might be wonderful.

Thanks for a reminder re. Magness’ pollen. I have many pear varieties in that same vicinity.

1 Like

@mamuang

Wonder if anyone beside you and @Barkslip will get flowers this year? Pretty sure Dax will have loads of fruit.

Today is April 21st it is in full bloom

9 Likes

Still blooming even today after 12 days. Fruitlets on it are looking good. These are the last few bloom clusters.

5 Likes

These trees are loaded! Anyone else have fruit this year? Love this variety when conditions are good!

I’m growing two of them, but I think they are years away from fruiting.

1 Like

My wife grafted this one. I’m not about to tell her how good a job she did. Look at that W&T seam I just unwrapped!

6 Likes

@clarkinks

That tree is HUGE Clark!

Have you sent scion to anyone in warmer climates like mine? 9a

1 Like

@Shibumi

The only one who sells scions of it is @39thparallel.

1 Like

What is it called?

1 Like

@astrid @Shibumi

I will get a hold of @39thparallel see if he can put more scions of it out there. I think he calls it Clarks small yellow pear.

3 Likes

Thank you! That would be wonderful. I’ve been eyeing this particular pear for the better part of a year! 39th Parallel ships fantastic scions and trees and I can fit a lot into their flat price shipper!

4 Likes

I can cut a dozen scions if needed.

This pear and i have a long term love and hate relationship. It is by far the best tasting pear that exists. The problem is it is difficult to catch it at the right time on the right year. I would quickly point out once you do no other pear will do. This pear regullarly gets me in trouble with the family because every year the weather is bad and its fruit is terrible i get the blame. They wait for this pear to produce because once you taste the heavinly taste of its flesh on a good year no other pear will do. On a bad year like the ones we have had lately in Kansas from the weird weather its not worth harvesting. I’ve been passifying my family with drippin honey, warren, karls favorite, magness, clapps favorite, harrow delight etc. that ripens around the same time. Everyone wants it to produce delicious pears but more than half the time it simply wont. The taste is undescribably complex and delicious. This is the only pear that can wow me ,but loves to dissapoint me. This pear should never be the only pear in the orchard rather it is a pear for the pear elites who have an extra spot in the orchard. Prepare to be in love with the fruit , but know it will be a rocky relationship. I checked the pears one morning and they were not ripe, checked them at lunch and 10% had fallen. Quickly i picked 5 gallon buckets that year after tasting one of the succulent ones from the ground. A different year they are so bad i dont even pick them. Hopefully someone has that perfect climate where they reach that heavinly taste year after year. My mother loves to can them in jars and eat them in the winter. She must work quickly because the pear only keeps for a week. When they are good a produce abundantly everyone must work feverishly to dry them, freeze, cook, or can them. Eating them fresh always was and will be the best. I just enjoy the week and eat them heartily and share them with everyone until they are gone. Then like now i miss the taste and wait for their return. It is likely next year they will taste like a walnut husk again until the good weather returns here.

12 Likes

Clark,
How far north is this pear grown? Is anybody growing it in zone 4 or 3b? I have trees in zone 7 and am about to start some in zone 3b. I would like to give it a try in both zones as an experiment with possible rewards.

3 Likes

Do you ever use a penetrometer (pressure tester) to help you gauge when to pick?

1 Like

@Graftman

Im sorry im not able to answer your question

@rubus_chief

No i have not