Clark's Small Yellow Pear

I looked several times this winter and I don’t know… it looks the same as last year and many clumped buds last year turned out all vegetative. I don’t know. I have plenty of other pears that are going to bloom though!

1 Like

I’m still trying to get scion. I think I could get fruit fairly quick on my espalier pear frame.

2 Likes

send me a message

2 Likes

I got (1) flower, ha-ha.

2 Likes

@Barkslip

Great I’m looking forward to seeing the results! @mamuang did not get flowers this year.

1 Like

I found (2) more clump/groupings of flowers today! I’m stoked man.

3 Likes

@Barkslip

Don’t set your hopes to high the first year or two they tasted like walnut husk for me on one tree. The other tree they were delicious the first year. They are a pain to grow but after you have your first good one you will chase that flavor from then on. Nothing compares to those.

1 Like

I will eat them, regardless… I’ll eat any fruit man.

Good to always know about their couple years of necessary crops to get to the good stuff, Clark.

Dax

1 Like

@Barkslip

If I wasn’t so busy I bet I would have top worked it it was on my mind. They are also given to core break down quickly. The difference between them when they are perfect is like a home grown tomato and store bought. It’s going to turn you into a pear snob. It’s like the first bite when it’s perfect you will know what pears are supposed to taste like. Other years it’s not at all impressive. Harrow sweet is somewhat like it but very different. The flavor is indescribable. Most pears are called fruity or spritely or sweet or spicy etc. It’s very deep with a pronounced pear flavor. Similar to a good wild strawberry the flavor is deeper. Many Homegrown tomatoes have that rich indescribable flavor like that but defining it is challenging.

1 Like

thank you. fer sure I can understand.

1 Like

No fruit yet but I have a limb pulled down so it might fruit up next year.

2 Likes

I’ve added Clark’s to an espalier and will put it on another wild tree on the property.

1 Like

@Sparty

If you have a hard to graft pear that won’t take grafts use it on that it grafts easily. I’ve never had a graft fail that was done properly.

Anyones fruitlets make it this year? Some people have blooms! This is that tree I tbudded it’s been fruiting for years. Put this one on that highly incompatible callery rootstock that fruits really fast. If you look closely at the pictures you will see fruit it’s heavy! The tree is a bit of a Rogue and sometimes blooms multiple times.

1 Like

Nope!

Harrow Sweet got its first (2) fruitlets … from me hand-pollinating from Small Yellow Pear.

Nothing else in my pear orchard, either. Lots of 10+ foot trees and spurry-looking trunks w/o many or no branches, but no flowers. They were grafted and planted all at once - 2018.

I’ll check in again… just not this year

2 Likes

@Barkslip

When it’s ready it blooms more than once sometimes. The year isn’t over.

1 Like

Clark’s little yellow pear grafted quite well for me this year.

3 Likes

@Sparty

Those look really good it will grow quickly. Don’t forget it grafts to anything. I’ve never had a wild rootstock I can’t graft using it just in case you ever need to know. Sometimes a stubborn callery does not want to take scions.

1 Like

That’s what it is on in that photo. That tree is babysitting 4 or 5 varieties. It put out pears on year two for two different grafts. Harrow delight and buterra Morettini

1 Like

These pears usually fruit heavy once the tree is established. This cluster is about like normal this year. They have some scars from storms and early insect attacks but they look great.

7 Likes