Cleft graft questions

I think bark grows faster than cleft. I’m doing cleft where I can because it’s quick and easy. Some of the pears I’m doing are big so bark is happening as well.

3 Likes

There’s the gist of Clark’s and mines conversation exactly… @Robert

2 Likes

I forget if this is 1/2" or 3/4" but I put (3) bark grafts on this apple rootstock last year and kept the better vigorous one that grew to 4’. The others I head back thru the season to push more growth to the scion once they became active and started again; there’s when I pinched. So, (3) scions like you’re saying Clark but I bark grafted them. You know, we breathe differently as to our ideas of clefts/bark(s).

Seee the ring of callus. It’s very evident. Verystrong.

Barkslip

1 Like

Let me clarify. Bark is done on larger trees with massive roots, so they are always going to be faster. Cleft is usually a smaller tree.

2 Likes

That’s right, you’ll literally blow the graft out because there (may not) be enough distance for the cut of scionwood (callus distance). It won’t take wind, nor bird, nor sneeze, the vigor alone of the power of the roots will push a scion off the tree that doesn’t have enough “connection area.”

Gosh, I’m getting deep into fighting words & I don’t like being here.

Gosh!

1 Like

@Robert

Yes a bark graft aka rind makes a lot of sense a lot of the time. This example is clearly a bark graft candidate nothing else makes sense. Where a cleft definately would make sense is where you a half inch tree with the same scions. The stuff @Barkslip Dax and i might be able to do both ways is the stuff in between. We both graft a lot so we are stuck in our ways proably

1 Like

simple and beautiful, gorgeous, clean : ) work. Double the scions next time. Literally Clark, cut them in half and use them twice (on the same tree) twice the scions. A suggestion.

1 Like

@clarkinks (counted the rings) That’s a seven year old tree. @Barkslip When I get a chance I’ll snap a few pics of some of the many I got from you. Two of the heartnuts put on like six or more feet as well as many of the pears.

2 Likes

that would be great. I’d love to see them.

1 Like

@Barkslip

I left two buds on each that’s Osage orange I was attempting to graft to mulberry haha. Could have got by with one bud for sure. By the way they are in the same family but it doesn’t work @tonyOmahaz5 and I tested a lot of combinations that year. @Robert post your photos we love seeing people do this stuff. 7 years is correct at that time. Have lots of old mulberries here they are great trees for me.
@Barkslip is that yellow pear going to fruit for you this year?

2 Likes

I hope so, Clark. It sure looks like it.

1 Like

I’m changing varieties on some 15-20 foot pears. Hoping to get away with some clefts, but I doubt it. Doing a bunch of plums. All clefts. I went big trading with people and have about 30 grafts to do.

1 Like

@Barkslip

Are you growing any Duchess D’ Angoulme? That is the strangest pear wood. Put that in the back 40 where Noone sees that tree I have mine hid in the back of the orchard by my house. It’s very productive but it’s very brittle wood and those pears are monsters or very numerous or both!

1 Like

@Robert

Yes take lots of photos if nothing else to keep track for your records.

Not yet. It’s not one I have. I gotta graft 400 3/8ths and 1/2" potted pears with 3 other guys and finish it in a day. I’m looking for cultivars for him currently. And I’m getting to the place where I’m close to finishing up with pears. I think I’m around 20 right now.

1 Like

It’s gonna be tough for me to find that caliper wood on here, but, I’ll see if anyone chimes in. I’m sure that young man and I would grow it upon your saying something about it. I’ve heard of it before.

1 Like

@Barkslip

It’s a staple pear like ayers here. They are both good. It’s not among the best but it will keep your belly full every year. Some good quality pears are light on pears like warren! I’m not going to say it’s a must have it reminds me of Kieffer I certainly keep it around and appreciate the tree but it’s not easy on the eyes and that drives me crazy sometimes. Never see those trees go a year without broken branches from fruit weight. Thinning so many trees is not realistic for me. The problem with scions and trees is shipping as well as scarcity. Corvallis tightened up their program. I’m one of the few growers who does fruit tree research and posts results and those results of research they seemed to have checked out extensively this year. I’m assuming that was just results of high shipping costs. I donate something to Corvallis when I can it’s been a great program. It’s never as big a donation as they deserve but it’s something.

1 Like

I got some on the horizon to graft. I cut off my Warren and Magness even though you thought they had life after my first black rot spores showing up. Shin Li which will store until the next Spring to eat is one I’m really seeking for food storage benefits, and, along with Korean Giant.

Shinsui is another as it’s very early ripening and very sweet.

Docteur Deportes as I asked for wood I got some from another member, it’s getting re-grafted. I hope to find Charles Harris. I’ve got some good stuff.

Corvalis is great. I send them 4x what they request for shipping. I sent them 40 to 50 dollars in previous years.

I hear ya, this is a job that comes along with the food. And, you get a lot of trees, and there is no “taking a year off.”

1 Like

@Barkslip

Korean Giant is very late which drives me crazy. It’s main crop comes on as stink bug numbers increase late in the year. It was great for years but stink bugs numbers are rising. @alan pointed out the rot and stink bugs may have some correlation. That seems plausible but I don’t like loosing that many big nice pears. Charles Harris popped buds early this year on me. It broke the shucks off weeks ago but never opened the bud which could be dead but I don’t think so. It’s a strange pear. Leona is another southern pear I grow. Drippin honey is an exceptional Asian pear. Do you t-bud graft ? If so we could send some Charles Harris buds in June or July. It’s rare I don’t know anyone but me who grows it.

Korean Giant is a afterthought more than a present thought. I’m hoping with it whereas I’m reveling that Shin Li will have food for me each year. I’ve seen serious fireblight problems with Korean Giant here. A 20’ tree now 3’. It’s basically over with and we’ve been sticking cultivars on it for the past close years just to have a temporary spot to grow some scionwood. I will try it but I was aware of the lateness and that worries me in NW IL. I saw that thing in flower, wow! A narrow, almost fastigiate (or is fastigiate!) tree Korean Giant is. Wow, beautiful tree in flower. I never got to eat one. We had problems with frosts or I don’t know what. I wasn’t around the tree enough to know more than the unbelievable fireblight. Like 20% would go each year and after 5-years it was only a few feet tall from 20’ tall.

1 Like