Cleft graft questions

It’s mostly about the size of the example that determines which graft to use. Then like Clark said, there is a point in between that becomes choice. I think bark is better, but cleft is way easier.

I’m trying a few oddball graft ideas from youtube. The main one I’m interested in they just drill into the tree, then strip the bark from the scion to the matching depth. Looks easy. We will see how well it works.

1 Like

Yer just a glutton for punishment, my friend!

Seriously, thanks very much for the link to the excellent tutorial. Do you use the staples? I see that in his photos, but for some reason I don’t like the idea - I guess I think it would just crack the bark. But it looks like it solves the problem for him.

I can see why you don’t like clefts. They can be a pain to heal cleanly. But for the first few years I grafted I didn’t even know there was any other kind -it’s what I was shown and it’s what I did. So it goes.

3 Likes

cleft is the only one forgiving enough for me to do. i shake alot. i just cant do whip n’ tongue. tried many times. never can get the angle right so i wind up chopping it off and doing a cleft instead. :wink: going to try some chip bud grafting this year.

3 Likes

I think chip and regular budding are both reasonably forgiving. A tremor is going to get in the way, no doubt, but if you can do clefts then you’ll manage chips and buds pretty well too. I think with those you could steady the knife edge on the wood before you start cutting, and I hope that helps.

I also like to do simple whips using Alan’s method of cutting stock and scion both with the nippers. If you can get a long enough cut on them and have the tape already stuck to the stock they go pretty well.

3 Likes

You don’t need staples. electrical tape is all I use.

chip budding is the grandest of all. It’s the fastest, easiest, the results are near 100%, and the vigor from the bud is at its max for the rootstock you got.

get a board @steveb4 , use your outdoor table to learn on a cutting board and then go do work in the yard doing chips. You do them once you feel summer is here. mid-June and then again in mid-August. You can start earlier too as long as you have true leaves but temperature helps around 70-75 F.

3 Likes