Col de Dame Noir (Baud) Second crop anyone?

It’s possible to get a second crop after brebas with a Col de Dame Noir (Baud) tree also.
I also observed this most interesting phenomenon on my Col de Dame Gris tree today.
My Col de Dame trees have been in the ground for several years now and without any winter protection in Zone 8b. They’ve proven to be tough trees. I had several diebacks to the ground over that period, but each time the trees came back with more vigor than ever.
This year was the best for Col de Dame Noir in terms of yield, but it took more than seven years to get here.
If you are in a hurry to get a large fig crop, go for another variety, but despite the fact that it took such a long time to see those results, I never regretted planting those varieties in ground.
Those trees are tough. Despite no protection, no pruning, no digging and no chemicals they’re still here. To be fair I used to add a bit of turkey compost each year and left them alone.

I just need a few extra days of heat, perhaps I could get those figs to ripen before Christmas.
It’s wishful thinking since today is December 5th and Christmas is near.

Happy holidays.

The first photo is Col de Dame Gris today and the second is Col de dame Noir.

4 Likes

You just need to read a few of the fig threads on this forum and you will find solutions to all your problems…

To make a long story short, winter protection is required in your zone so that you can ripen the main crop in late summer/early fall. You could have been getting a good main crop starting on year 2 if you had done it.

Ahmad.
I already had brebas, ripened the main crop in September and now getting another crop.
I wish I’ll always have this problem :slight_smile:
I protected my trees for the first three years. I don’t do it anymore.
I’m on the Golf course, can’t have my trees wearing hats.

1 Like

Yesterday I experienced the fastest ripening of any fig I have for this time of year. It took two days or perhaps three days for those figs to totally darken. Most interesting was their stunning colors. Dark purple with shades of green rather than black which made Col de Dame Noir the most beautiful fig that I currently have in my collection. The photo does it no justice. They were perfectly ripe with characteristics slightly different than those from the main crop. Slightly bigger and softer with the consistency of Jell-O while maintaining the same level of sweetness and berry flavor.
One possible reason or two as to why this fig is not a commercial variety is that it bruises easily and by being so soft could also have a short shelve life.

In the end you’ve got to grow it in the right location to appreciate how special this fig is.

3 Likes