Cold climate Thomcord grape

Anyone have any experience growing Thomcord in colder climates? I’m trying it in zone 6b In Bend OR. It’s grown to about 8’ over the first two growing seasons but hasn’t produced any fruit yet. Hoping maybe this summer, the third growing season, or maybe it’s just too cold for it in 6b?

1 Like

How are you pruning it? Is it in full sun all day? Both can make a huge difference. I would think Bend has more than enough sun exposure to produce grapes. You might check out “From vines to wine”, an excellent growing tutorial that will give you good illustrations on pruning and setting up a trellis to maximize sun exposure.
Wishing you the best
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

I haven’t pruned yet because it’s been slow growing. It gets about 6 hours of afternoon sun, so not quite full sun.

1 Like

You have to prune a grape to get fruit production, without pruning you will get only vine production! Cut last years growth back to 2 nodes. Is there any way to relocate it to full day sun?
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

If it is going to flower this year, you should be able to see the flower clusters as soon as the buds break and the shoots start growing. Where is the new growth coming from? Flowers are largely produced only on last year’s growth, so if that has frozen back and you are getting new growth from older wood, you are unlikely to get fruit this year.

6 hours is marginal for grapes, but you should get some fruit.

While you can prune Thomcord to spurs, yield is much higher if you cane prune it, probably because of its Thompson Seedless parent.

1 Like

Perhaps you can post a picture of your vine so we can see your situation