Cold Hardy Hybrid persimmons for Z5

Interesting! I hope my 2 small jt-02 grafts make it i should check soon we got -12. Me being south of you, in the prairie, your temps and results always interest me thanks for sharing!

How do you know they survived? Seems like the proof would be found in spring once they lead out and grow?

2 Likes

The woods are flexible and they are all passed the scratch test with all green woods. Most of my trees are older with thick bark.

2 Likes

Great news Tony it looks like my outdoors ones all made it too. Only -12 but just small grafts. I covered them to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

A couple of quick questions…

Will a Prok and a JT-02 pollinate each other and increase seed production? If so, what distance apart might prevent this?

If got shipped a small, grafted JT-02 in September, should I pot it and plant the following spring, or is it okay to fall plant in the ground? Our first frost is around mid-October.

No because Prok and JT-02 are female persimmon trees.

1 Like

Update on the hybrid persimmons that survived the -27F.

3 JT-02 resprout above the graft union.

12 yrs old Nikita’s Gift with graft union buried a foot under the soil line and resprout.

To save any Kaki or Hybrid persimmons in the even of the Polar Vortex which can lower the temp to -27F then bury the graft union a foot below the soil level. Btw,. The 2 seedless Che with the graft union buried a foot below the soil level also resprout.

Tony

12 Likes

Wow that is great Tony!! Thanks for sharing! I am for sure a fan of low grafting and transplant bury graft!! Maybe some other ones will be worth growing for you with this method if they only get fried every 10 years and regrow fast, like Kasandra maybe even Inchon! since its hardier than NG

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5

Did you plant that graft union a foot below, or graft low and then build up a foot of soil later? I seem to have the best luck grafting in ground and have generally been grafting persimmon up higher (and not hybrids) either to match diameter or to give them some protection from critters or livestock that would break them off, but I might have to give that a try on a couple of hybrids for fun.

3 Likes

I cleft grafted the JT-02 scion low onto a potted seedling and let it grew for one season then planted it with the graft union a foot below the soil level.

2 Likes

I bet it is something we all should do so when that killer event happens every 10 years we have a much higher likelihood of it immediately begin regrowing fast from the established stump and not loosing our cultivar which for you and Tony JT-02 is #1! Might want to do this for a few americans too!

3 Likes

In some cases for me, the hardiness of some northern rootstocks at the extreme temps might be less than the improved variety on top. Mostly good, but not so good for some. Still trying to understand that, and using several sources and seeds to see how that goes into the future. Definitely, southern persimmon rootstocks are a no-no here and routinely die back even in mild (for here) winters…although I strangely had a couple southern rootstocks survive the -29F this winter…which was shocking.

3 Likes

In another week or so that I going to cross Jerry Lehman Nikita’s Gift offspring male persimmon to my 6 potted Nonastringent Tam Kam Asian persimmons. All the trees are loaded with flowers.

Jerry Lehman Nikita’s Gift offspring male flowers with cluster of 3 flowers

Tam Kam nonastringent Asian persimmon flowers. Only a single flower.

7 Likes