Cold weather already

We’re sitting at 33, overcast - that’s 6 degrees warmer than predicted. If we can sneak through the next couple of nights the same way we could be OK for a spell.

2 Likes

Yes, they seem to be hording all the cool air and rain. I’ve had a quarter inch of rain in August and September combined.It’s been highs over 90 most days. I have several trees that are stressed, everything is stressed. I can’t get my lettuce or Fall greens to germinate even when I water them, it’s too hot. I put a board over a section of one row of lettuce and a few have come up.
My apples have little color this year. However, here in upstate South Carolina I don’t expect a lot of color except from really late apples like Arkansas Black. The apples are ripening unevenly and immature fruit are dropping.
I can hardly wait for cooler weather and some rain.

3 Likes

Same here… I need to get out to water some things, the kiwis in particular do not look happy at all. The last time I watered my orchard was maybe five years ago. At least it is sub-90 today, 86F right now.

Crazy weather all over eh? Why can’t we build a big pipeline and ship the weather through it to where its needed :grin:

4 Likes

We got our 25 or 26 F as predicted, but apparently it didn’t last long and in any event did not appear to do any damage. So I was in a panic for nothing!

I just cannot imagine how real farmers, orchardists, and the like can stand it. The chronic uncertainty would probably be more than I could take.

3 Likes

95 at 6 p.m. in Somerset, Kentucky.
Don’t know if that’s a October record or not, but tomorrow could be worse.

5 Likes

wow! thats insane hot for this time of year ! even for you guys.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I could handle it. I grew up in NW Arkansas, but I don’t recall those kinds of conditions. I’m always whining about the cold and snow here, but I love the dry, low-disease growing conditions mild summers we often get. And the only serious insect pressure I have on my apple is codling moth.

But don’t worry- I’ll start whining again as soon as I have to get out the snow shovels.

6 Likes

Maybe 2013? Similar weather pattern to this year. Normal to wet-ish until July or early August, then…BOOM-Sahara Desert. I remember in 2013 the drought ended in a three day deluge in mid October. Something like 6” of rain in three days.

2 Likes

I assume you do have to irrigate up there though, right?

2 Likes

Yes, but we’re on a well which doesn’t cost us much to run. My fruit trees are pretty well covered in routine watering, but the big maples get some extra attention. This year has been unusually wet (normal annual precip is about 12") so we haven’t even needed too much pump time.

4 Likes

12 inches for the year? That would probably be better then where i live where its like a rainforest… we had almost 7 inches just in September and October has already been rain after rain. Then November is the month that is on avg the cloudiest (ugh)… then winter …yummy!

3 Likes

Don’t know that I could stand the rain forest!

1 Like

Central Park 93 F
Hottest since 1927

Was 91 on my car dash at 2 pm

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiy
Its dank humid too
My mom had her ac on again today

1 Like

It got to 95F today for me … besides 1941 I think it is the hottest day in October ever here.

2 Likes

Portland , ME 55f, New York city, 85f, DC was near 100f ! crazy temp differences in such a short distance. was a balmy 41f with a 33f windchill here.

2 Likes

Yesterdays high was 96, today was 99. Tomorrow is supposed to be 95. But the temp is supposed to drop by more than 30 degrees on Saturday! And we’re supposed to get some rain behind it. It’s almost too late. The leaves on some of my collards got scorched today and I watered them this morning. Here’s hoping it’s over with for awhile.

1 Like

I feel your discomfort! I’m in S. Indiana on the KY State line, and the weather has been hotter and drier for this time of year than I can remember. I continue to water a few favorites, new grafts, and seedlings to get them into Winter. Finally tonight a cold wave came through with some welcome relief.

1 Like