Cold weather already

And I am not amused. Now projected to drop to 24 F Tuesday a.m. I have a lot of apples I’m just holding my breath on. If you drive by my house early in the morning and see a crazy guy spraying down his tree with a garden hose don’t worry - it’s just me.

13 Likes

I know… This is crazy. And wrong - we should not have snow in September!

9 Likes

When we used to order supplies from Spokane we’d always ask what the weather over there was - because we could see it ourselves in a day or two. But you can keep yr. dern snow, thanks very much.

About 35 F here right now, so so far, so good. Holding my breath.

4 Likes

Well, it’s here, right on schedule!

3 Likes

Sorry!

4 Likes

That’s where the cold is.

It’s been the hottest, driest September I can remember. It does look like we finally cool off to more autumn-like temperatures next weekend, and it doesn’t look like it’ll get too warm after that, although may try to tend bit above average.

Still no precipitation of any significance, though.

3 Likes

It’s not any better today… Still snowing.

8 Likes

you guys can kept it! too early for snow but I’ve seen that here this time of year as well.

3 Likes

The last time Spokane got snow in September was 1926…

4 Likes

At least it looks like we’re OK for tonight- I think(hope) that my remaining apples can handle 26 F, and since the snow is melting now the weight isn’t too great. I picked about 50 pounds and shook a bunch of snow off, and I don’t think anything will break. Find out in the morning. I don’t like picking apples in the snow!

But we’re looking at 25 F or 24 F the following two days (about -4 C) and I’ve got all my Calville Blanc, Rubinette, Jonagold, Prairie Spy, Pixie Crunch, Kidd’s Orange and Cox’s Orange and a lot of Libs still on the tree.

I wonder what the rest of the year will bring and it makes me nervous.

4 Likes

It’s so pretty. You should put up Christmas decorations :christmas_tree:

We had snow in late Sept close to 20 years ago…you’ll probably flip back to mild and forget all about it.

3 Likes

my father/ grandfather used to say cold temps really sweetens fall apples. most of the ol’ folk here won’t pick a fall apple without a few real good frosts to hit them 1st. :wink:

4 Likes

You’re giving me hope, Bro!

4 Likes

could be your best tasting crop yet.!

3 Likes

Actually, it is supposed to, which will be nice.

2 Likes

Mark, that’s just a few snowflakes. This is what I see when I open my front door.

Behind the pathfinder it is knee deep. I still have honeycrisp and kerr hanging. Neither is really ripe, but the forecast is for -9 C Tuesday morning, so I will have to pick them tomorrow. Good luck with yours.

9 Likes

Yeow! It’s a bit early for drifting. Must be pretty windy where you are?

I wouldn’t worry too much about a drier snow, but this one is wet and heavy and with the leaves and fruit still on the trees I was worried about limbs breaking, plus I want my fruit to finish ripening. We’ll see …

:-)M

2 Likes

Cat seems displeased

4 Likes

Wow Chinook, I guess I should stop whining!

2 Likes

was 28f this morning with upper 40’s predicted during the day for the rest of the week. snow flurries at night also coming. seasons done here.

1 Like