Colette Everbearing Pear Tree

Cant grow pears? Losing pear blooms to frost? If you have a recurrent issue every spring where you lose all your blossoms to frost maybe your growing the wrong pear

" Description - # Colette Everbearing Pear Tree

Outstanding quality that keeps going. Broad for its kind, this shapely tree repeat-blooms and bears until hard freeze. First crops are of Bartlett size with superior quality, yellow skin, and a light pink blush. Smooth and aromatic, grit-free white flesh is excellent for fresh eating but also retains its flavor when canned. Subsequent fruit is set when other pollinators have finished blooming – a unique trait of its somewhat self-fertile nature. Originates from Illinois, introduced in 1953. Cold-hardy. Harvest mid- to late-September through hard freeze. Partially self-pollinating. Best pollinators: Bartlett or Beurre Bosc. " - Colette Everbearing Pear Tree - Stark Bro’s

6 Likes

That’s a recipe for catching fireblight.

4 Likes

@Stan

Yes it can be

3 Likes

Very good pear, didn’t have any noticeable problems with fb, but isn’t listed as resistant. There was fb present though…

5 Likes

Mine has fire blight strikes every year. It’s right next to a Clapps and the Clapps hasn’t had a FB strike yet. I’m very close to grafting the Colette over to something else.

3 Likes

@AndySmith

There are pros and cons to everything!

2 Likes

Seems that a decade ago it was a good pear. Maybe things have changed. I recently saw a good review on one of my FB groups that the poster says it is self fertile…as they do not have any other pear trees.

Here are old reviews…mostly positive.

1 Like

I’ve had it about 25 years, from Miller’s nursery. No better or worse than any of my other pear types. :+1:

2 Likes