Compassion Seedless grape

Compassion is a good table grape. It looks like it will grow well here in VA zone 7B. I don’t know anything about fungicide spray. If you know which one and where to buy them, please drop a comment. Also should this be cane or spur pruned?

4 Likes

According to this study yields were pretty good when pruned to 3-4 bud spurs, up to 15 kg per vine. They didn’t test disease resistance, but Compassion appears to be somewhat downy mildew resistant. It does get some powdery mildew and is probably susceptible to black rot. Are you strictly organic or will systemic fungicides be acceptable?

3 Likes

I am not trying to grow anything organic on purpose. I don’t understand the chemicals. So I have a small fear of poisoning my family.

1 Like

Organic fungicides usually need to be reapplied every time it rains. Systemic ones will last for a few weeks. I don’t have any experience growing grapes on the east coast, so I don’t know which fungicides would be the best for your situation.

You may be able to get away without spraying and still get a crop most years if you manage the canopy well and keep the fruiting zone open with plenty of airflow.

1 Like