Compatibility grafting?

Hey @Bradybb and @carot

Hi Brady, big and swollen is incompatibility. The nectarine(s) far outgrew the American plum.

Hi Norman,

I don’t have a suggestion as to which to use nor (do I) know parentage of the cultivars. I wouldn’t put much thought into it as I suggested (already.) Thanks, I, I, don’t know.

Dax

2 Likes

How is everyone doing with compatability grafting? I have mentioned it before but my quince grafted to pear failed after several years. Honestly was very glad to see them go because quince are disease magnets here in Kansas. Quince rootstocks do not do well here either during dry times because they lack the roots in my location they need to survive. My large callery and bet pears are much better choices for rootstock. Harbins do not do as well as i had hoped at my location. Ohxf rootstocks do not do as well as i hoped at my location but is the runner up to callery and bet rootstocks. I tried 333, 87, 97 types all of which lived but none adapted as well to the soil here as bet and callery.

5 Likes

Do pears grafted onto cotoneaster require staking? another combo I may try out, as I really want some dwarf pear possibilities. I don’t find the nurse branches a problem, cotoneaster has so many thorns, it should help keep the rabbits off.
I saw a comment by Bernie Nikolai on FB today about this, and then found this older post of yours.

1 Like

Yes Bernie Nikolai asked to use some grafting photos of mine for top working pears he planned to use in Canada. He does a lot of special projects such as cotton easter , importing of russian pears etc. I have pears grafted to aronia as well and no staking was required.

2 Likes

Is there a specific Cotoneaster that works well? I used to have a number of them around, before we had some house construction done. I was debating putting them back, I don’t know the variety as the first were planted in the 1980’s. About knee to waist high.
Do the aronia need nurse branches as well? I have some cuttings started, hoping for fruit next year. I think I currently have Viking.

1 Like

Dont know but be sure to leave cotoneaster branches below the graft otherwise the pear will possibly die.

1 Like

The aronia i grafted my small yellow pear to is viking. I left half the bush as aronia. It has been 3 years and it has not fruited.

I got comments back from Bernie Nikolai on FB. Cotoneaster lucidis, common and apparently widespread in Edmonton, Alberta.
That is not probably going to do well here in Maryland, as we have hot steamy summers. And it’s prone to fireblight. I have no idea what I had before, will try local nurseries to ask.

1 Like

This is a pear (Mooers, I think it was) that I grafted onto a cockspur hawthorn (C.crus-galli) seedling that I ‘rescued’ out of the cowpasture, back in 2001. Pear stem is 3" in diameter, tree is about 9 ft tall.
Has not been very productive… but it’s stuck in a wet spot in amongst another half-dozen hawthorns plunked in the ground at the same time… a couple were grafted over to mayhaw selections, but the others were left intact, and have pretty much overtopped the pear-on-hawthorn.
I had Ubileen pear on hawthorn, grafted at the same time, that was growing with similar inconsistency in scion/rootstock size after about 5 years, and maybe 5 ft tall, before we removed it when putting in a tennis court.

4 Likes

Tough call but I would consider the tennis court a good trade off. Long time ago I picked up my first racket while a student at AU. 40 plus years later I still enjoy the game but at a slower pace.

3 Likes

Obviously seeing this late but i remember a mountain ash, looked wild, growing at the edge of franklin lake up in lincoln or iron county? The franklin next to the butternut lake, as there are several of wach in wisconsin.

Tried making wine with the berries, second-worst batch i ever made, right behind highbusb cranberry

1 Like

LOL That’s pretty awesome that you make wine from odd types of fruit. I admire people who experiment with plants like that. I tried highbush cranberries once… they were terribly bitter.

Its awesome with things like blackberries…Highbush cranberry wine was in a class by itself, it smelled like vomit and tasted like dish soap

3 Likes

A little update, I did bud graft Dew Drop pear onto cotoneaster and it is doing well. I am training it as an espalier and I just lopped off the top to start my second tier. I left one nurse branch of cotoneaster close to the ground.

3 Likes

Posted this, tangentially, in another thread, but probably fits better here.
Nanking cherry, P.tomentosa, is actually more closely related to plums than to true cherries.
20 years or more ago, I bought some row-run Nanking seedlings, grew them out for a year or so, and used them as understocks under a couple of Japanese hybrid plum varieties and an old heirloom/landrace white-fleshed peach; planted them in my Dad’s orchard at Auburn, AL.
The plums on Nanking grew quite vigorously, but the peach was extremely dwarfed… probably never got over about 4 ft tall, over a 5-6 year period, and eventually died…not sure if death was due to incompatibility, or some disease issue.

2 Likes

there are also some rootstocks that are hybrid P.tomentosa

VVA-1 = KRYMSK 1 – *Prunus tomentosa x P. ceracifera *
VSV-1 = KRYMSK 2 – Prunus incana x P. tomentosa
https://p2g.us.com/index.php/krymsk1/

Krymsk 1 and 2 seem compatible with plums. I could find little more on krymsk 2.
except that it is supposed to go well with plums peaches and nectarines.

Krymsk 1 seems to go oky with some apricots. But might have some trouble with peaches and nectarines

I have heard some anecdotal disease problems about the krymsk series. (bacterial cancer)

Wur S766 Prunus spinosa. Is a verry intresting new rootstock. That seems adapted to many soils.

It has good compatability to plums

It reportedly has genetic relationship and compatability to plums and apricots.

And supposidly is also peach compatible.

1 Like

My peach Benedicte is grafted to WUR S766.

1 Like

I just got 100 of prunus americana I want to graft contender on some this spring. any tips? I was thinking about doing them inside in Promix than transplant after the last frost

2 Likes

Have your Scions line up?

My friend has recommendations on how to care for a lot of (inside) bench grafting trees and then how & when to plant them, after.

2 Likes