Compost experiments

Sorry, but never never never plant this

Fallopia japonica ,Reynoutria japonica

it spreads quickly, forms up to until 7 ft tall culms each summer and is almost impossible to get rid of

Step one - dug the big clumps where possible(do not try to remove the roots,at least not by digging them out, it will create more plants). Where impossible(between the rocks) cut low in the middle of summer and cover with black plastic bags. Make sure the bags are secured, but do not cover completely, so sun can create overheat under the bag. Watch for new shoots and if they thick enough cut them low, use a screwdriver to punch down to the root inside the cut stem and pour some concentrated roundup (1/4-1/2 tsp) inside. If shoot is thin just paint diluted roundup(same concatenation you would use on any weeds) on the leaves and stem. Roundup works the best around flowering time, but the key is not let the green to collect any sugars to feed the roots, so if you have no time to use the roundup just cut or pull new shoots low when you see them. Do not throw them on the ground, they will root. Dry them on the rock, concrete, any other hard surface and dispose in the trash bag. Do not plant perennials where the weed is still appearing, it will be much harder to deal with. Annuals are fine.

1 Like

the voles got to some of my potatoes that were only a inch under the soil. ive never had damage from them in the summer so i doubled my poison traps in nov. that i put out.

2 Likes

this stuff is taking over old fields/ gravel pits here. people dig it up off their property and dump it elsewhere spreading it further. a neighbor had it on his property. got a bunch of shale fill and covered the whole thing 5ft deep. the damned stuff couldnt grow up but pushed shoots 15ft to the side of the shale he put down! hes now trying to cover that spot.

1 Like

@steveb4

It is where we live the voles eat potatos , peanuts. Jerusalem artichoke , etc. . Plant plenty of garlic they hate it.

1 Like

funny you say that. the garlic was planted right next to the potatoes. garlic is untouched. :wink:

2 Likes

@steveb4

Plant the garlic around the potatos. They hate garlic worse than anything else. Maybe crush up a nice garlic bulb for a spray for the root crops.

1 Like

will do!

1 Like

many use butyric acid to get rid of voles. it stinks like hell.
better wear two pairs of gloves and don’t let it come into contact with your clothes
because it’s hard to get the smell out