Compost experiments

@Kaki-pistacia

Yes they commented in that video caption but wanted to clarify that is not about composting by products. The most dangerous thing about compost is what you breath so wear a mask.Compost Can make You Sick - Garden Fundamentals

1 Like

The best way to handle compost really is to put it where you want it like those orange peels and come back in 3-20 years like they did. Donā€™t handle it once it starts breaking down. If you do handle it and frequently we need to wear a mask it helps.

"

• Legionella longbeachae is mainly found in garden soil, compost, mulch, and potting mix. This guide covers how to work safely with these products.
  • Legionella pneumophila is mainly found in water systems, where it can grow on wet surfaces."
1 Like

Goodness as if we need one more thing to worry about gardening. Good thing I always wear 2 gloves, one thinner inside and one thick one outside.

1 Like

@SoCalGardenNut

It is more of a respitory issue as you know but like you said gloves are a good idea.

Legionnaires Disease Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention | CDCā€™%20disease.

1 Like

Yes, but Iā€™m not sure I want to wear mask gardening. I take great care not to breath in these microfertlizer like AZomite, but I think one can worry too much.

2 Likes

I have been using this for 7+ years. Compost is done every 4 weeks. Like clockwork. Even in winter.

Will compost citrus, even meat. Core temp gets over 130F. Itā€™s fun to watch steam coming out of this composter even in winter.

https://www.joracomposters.com/

5 Likes

Use the heat :smiley:

Supposedly it is very rare to get this diseases from compost. It is more an air conditioner disease :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank goodness.

:smile:

One last important gardening warning from me.
Never never never plant Fallopia japonica.
You should even not put it on the compost because it could survive.
It is one of the worst invasive plants.
You will never get rid of it.

But you extra worms in your compost?
Or did they came on their own.

2 Likes

I originally bought them from the horse guy at the farmers market, I think I paid $5 for 100 worms. He also sold horse compost. Then they multiply so many, I canā€™t even keep the population down.

1 Like

Kind of earthworms?
Your worms must live in heaven. When they multiply so much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think they are red wrigglers.

1 Like

Interesting, I had never a worm compost. I donā€™t know but I guess the worms process the compost faster than the microorganisms in a ā€žheat compostā€œ?

1 Like

Pictures of my compost from my last house. Iā€™ve since moved and gave the huge bins away.

You can see the compost is rich dark matter, I had a very productive garden, not so much in this garden. I had a raised bed type of gardening too. In this house I saw a lot of mice running around, but since Iā€™ve learned to cover my compost, I donā€™t see them anymore, Iā€™m sure they are out there, but not near my compost.

3 Likes

Sorry that your new garden is not so productive as your old one.
Yeah your processed compost looks perfect.

I hope that the mice at least donā€™t eat your plants and fruits.
Sometimes I watched mice stealing my strawberries.

2 Likes

They do, I get one or 2 fruit a year from my Golden Dorsett, the rest are eaten by mice, squirrels. I use them as bait to keep out my other fruit. When I see bite marks, I put out traps.

1 Like

I can imagine that this is frustrating.
I lose more than half of my fruit to animals.

1 Like

I can proudly report that I was able to kill it in my previous yard for good(if you not counting seedlings from the neighborā€™s yard that you need to keep an eye on). It was growing on the rocky hill as well as on a soft soil. If interested I can provide the full directions. But it is not easy and took three years.

2 Likes

Please tell!

It took me years to get rid of it too. I dug up the roots and put rotting plant matter in the hole hoping the remaining roots would rot.

it forms 6ft deep roots. here it does not form seeds and only multiplies via rhizomes that you can never get rid of.
it is even banned in some countries.

1 Like