Concord seedless like concord should be renamed reliable!

Also want to note Duchess d’ Angoulme pear brought up on this thread is usually pretty fair quality for such a late pear. It’s true ripening time is typically late October or early November here. It’s the only pear I grow that’s so late. The quality is definitely not be compared with seckle, warren, magness, Comice, abate fetel etc. though for a regular pear similar to bartlett it produces fruit when very little is available. That also makes it a target for every pear thief there is so watch them like a hawk!

2 Likes

Great crop despite the worst drought since the 1940’s.

7 Likes

I alwasy have great luck with my Valiant, super heavy set this year!

12 Likes

No rot?

My understanding is the seedless Concord has no relation to the original seeded. The name was chosen as a marketing term.

1 Like

Look great!

1 Like

It’s true they are not related at all besides for in dependability and taste. Seeded concord have a slightly better flavor and the seedless still have seeds in Kansas.@Thederek valiant looks really good!

I too grow Concord grapes for jelly/juice. I have a friend who grew Concord for years for juice then tried King of The North. He swears when tasted side by side that King of The North makes a better tasting juice.

Anyone try King of The North?

1 Like

My Concords look more like yours. They don’t bunch up like Valiant. I usually pick mine end if September, or beginning of October, if the birds or coons haven’t gotten to them!

1 Like

Yes, King of the North has very good flavor. As good or better than Concord (and I like Concord quite a bit). Thinner skins also. Much earlier than Concord. What’s the downside? → Much smaller berries. Here’s a link with a pic:

1 Like

Id be down for a vine swap if anyone is willing to send me some KotN, I have several other hardy varieties… Id like to get 5-10 dormant cuttings either this fall or next spring early.

1 Like

→ I should be able to do that. You might want to get some from others as well to increase your chances of success. I haven’t had luck rooting grape cuttings yet but I’ll try again this year. What varieties do you have?

Ive got Swenson Red, Swenson White, Edelweiss, Reliance, Valiant, Marquette, La Crescent, I think Vanessa (died back a lot last year, but I think its growing again). Ive had the best luck rooting grapes with bottom heat in my cold garage. Here are some I did earlier this year.

5 Likes

Bucketfuls of seedless concord grapes today!

5 Likes

A definite favorite!

1 Like

These are standard concord which look very similar.

2 Likes

I have one of those… love it.

4/15/2020… we got around 26 degrees… my seedless concord was way out with growth and small fruit buds already… all turned black and fell off.

It came back and leafed out and grew nice branches… but did not produce fruit again.

Failed 1 year out of 15 or so. Lost all apples and peaches that year too.

2 Likes

Concord is the best. Best tasting and easiest to grow. My seedless has seeds though.

1 Like

My favorite grape!

1 Like

@Robert … mine are seedless… no seeds at all.

Very good flavor (tartness) with enough sweetness to cover that.

My clusters and grapes are somewhat small though… i can cover most with a 4x6 organza bag. A few clusters had to use larger bags on.

The birds love them… me too… if i dont bag mine the birds will get most.

My sister has a really nice reddish purple grape (seeded) and it is very vigorous and produces large clusters of large grapes. She does not remember her variety.

I definately prefer the seedless for freah eating… just wish mine were more abundant larger grapes and clusters.

3 Likes