Confession: I never tasted a good ______

I’ve had good red skin, red flesh dragonfruit, and good yellow skin white flesh. For many years I thought dragon fruit was utterly flavorless. A childhood friend of mine said it was his favorite fruit, and that helped me hold out hope until I finally got some good ones.

5 Likes

This might be controversial, but I really tried - Flavor King pluot. The only thing I’ve not yet tried is from my own tree. Hopefully I’ll get to do it this year. Everything else tasted like a cheap fruit punch so far. Very much like you take a Santa Rosa plum and add some chemicals to make it 10X flavor, beyond the point of enjoyable.

2 Likes

kiwi. I don’t like it
for veggies, kohlrabi. it’s weird because I like all the other brassica

2 Likes

I dont dislike kohlrabi im just like why is this a thing. You shred it up anyway so you never know what it was before then they make “slaw” you get the same effect by using large broccoli stalks.

2 Likes

At least to me flavor grenade pluot sounds more desirable if you describe it as cheap punch. Punch tastes amazing to me.

1 Like

I need to clarify - I tasted punch mostly in college and my memory of them is overly sweet and "chemical"y like some halloween candy. I am sure better versions exist. I love other pluots - Flavor Grenade, Honey Punch, Emerald Drop (my fav so far), etc. @bleedingdirt mentioned its likely the FKs I sampled so far weren’t ripe enough. Thats possible and I have some fruits on my grafts this year that I am waiting to try!

1 Like

Flavor King belongs in the best fruit category not worst.

3 Likes

Store-bought apricot.

Don’t know why, but they are never close to ripe.

3 Likes

I disliked apricots for the longest time because all I got were store bought.

Then I grow my own. Tree ripened apricots are wonderful and flavorful. The difference is night and day.

5 Likes

Jujube. People tell me they can grow well in my climate, they’re nutritious, etc. But I say, "I don’t like them. " I don’t want to take up the space, and I have a yard full of fruit I love including Mcintosh apples. If I eat them off the tree, they’re spectacular. Crisp, beautiful. A day later, just pretty good. A week later, just another apple. That’s why I grow them. They are aromatic and have a distinctive flavor profile.
JohnS
PDX OR

5 Likes

Most growers are concerned about most pounds to market in least amount of time.
If you want quality in an apricot, you need to use the same practices used for wine grapes!

1 Like

I have several hundred pounds of seed from an apricot cultivar I developed over 2 decades ago.
It has very intense flavor & aromas!
I’m going to plant the seeds & hope one is like mommy.
PM me in a few years if interested.
Thanks.

2 Likes

The red skin/white flesh ones are gamble. I’ve had ones that are quite good, but they’re very much in the minority. I just wish I could get the red flesh ones regularly around here. I can find them frozen, and they’re usually great.

1 Like

Have you tried them peeled and sliced, rather than shredded? A good one, fresh from the garden, has a nice apple flavor and texture combined with the broccoli flavor. They’re also way less fussy to grow than broccoli. I need to make sure to get seeds for next year…

1 Like

I never tasted a good …
Bitter melon !
I grew them for a few years, taking some to the farmers market with other stuff. Some south East Asian people would buy all I had.
Others would pick them up and look at their unusual shape.
My sales pitch , on a sign said …

Bitter melon 

If you don’t know what this is don’t buy them
They are terrible !

Hah !

8 Likes

My parents thought the same untill we did a blood sugar test. My Dad was 165 before and 120 30 minutes or so after eating some badly prepared (by myself) Bitter melon. We eventualy learned to prepare it correctly. But it was never a flavor delight.

8 Likes

Apricots and plums do not ripen after picking as apples and pears do. So they pick both apricots and plums when they are firm and best for shipping, but before they are ripe. That is why I personally find store bought apricots almost inedible, and plums are not much better. Apricots at the supermarket might be a 4 out of 10 in taste, but when fully ripe off the tree to me they are a “10”.

4 Likes

I love those! an acquired taste I think.

we had a bunch of torpedo melon from a client of mine, she tipped me in frozen durian and fresh melons. the durian I ate all at once in a frenzy but I’m dragging out the melons until we have some fruit ready in the garden

2 Likes

Guava. Smells great… tastes bland.

2 Likes

Perhaps I’ve just never had a properly ripe one, but every Asian pear I’ve eaten has been tasteless – as a result I’ve never eaten very many.

2 Likes