Confession: I never tasted a good ______

For me thats Apricot’s.

I long considered Apricots one of my favorite fruits. I can eat bags of dry apricots and cans of apricots and I love them. I realized some time ago however I never actualy tasted a fresh apricot that was good.

I planted a couple Manchurian apricots and will graft some apricots eventually. I will of course dry anything if fresh doesn’t work out but shouldn’t apricots be awesome fresh?

What fruit do you like but find constantly disappointing.

6 Likes

For me it’s Honeyberry.

Got my first ripe fruit this year 40 or so… 2 bushes and they all tasted pretty much the same… tart… no sweetness at all.

Think I found the last of them yesterday… and even the later ones… tart… no sweet… not impressed.

5 Likes

I had my first (singular) and only HB 5 years or so ago when I first put them in the ground. This year I have about a dozen formed this year and ripeing as of yesterday. I think the improvement came from adding trace elements in the form of Azomite to the plants last year. I am hopeing for good things but like you so far they are just tart little berries. But the good thing is taste a lot of flavor. If I ever had a large harvest of tart HB’s im sure they would be great with added sugar.

4 Likes

It sounds like you need to add more varieties to increase pollination…

@TNHunter have you let them hang for 3 weeks after they look ripe? I hear that’s how long it takes.

5 Likes

And the way people here talk about plums, apparently I need to try good ones. I like plums, but store bought are underwhelming most of the time.

8 Likes

Passionfruit or any item with passionfruit in it.

2 Likes

None of the plums in stores taste Anyware near good. But Pulot’s are quite often then not really good. With the exception of “dinosaure eggs”. We get Happy Tree Farms products in NJ regularly and I have bene able to identify Flavor Grenade(RIP), and Emerald drop. Both I had on my pulot tree, My fruit and store bought where comparable.

3 Likes

:scream:!! A vine-ripened passionfruit (P. edulis) is one of my top five all time favorite fruits, but I will agree that often they are just tart and not sweet when store-bought or picked too early. I’m hoping my P. maliformis fruits in the greenhouse this summer, though it’s been very slow to wake up from its winter slumber. It’s a passionfruit I’ve never tasted before.

I’m going to interpret this topic a little more broadly, since almost every fruit can be good, and say I’ve never tasted a good asparagus.

7 Likes

Grocery stores are bad for plums and tomatoes.

7 Likes

Aronia. And I love tart and weird berries from all over the world. But my aronia taste like hard nuggets of day-old coffee grounds.

Also…plums? But I do not understand why I do not like plums, because I LOVE plum jelly and prunes. Maybe I’ve just always had bad or unripe plums? Each time I have tried one it had an odd texture, with a thick skin and somewhat mealy flesh. Is that just a particular variety thing or do all plums have a sort of soft and mealy texture and it’s just a preference thing whether you like that?

6 Likes

Dragonfruit.

8 Likes

Okra, poke salad, leather britches or raw potato. My family loves to eat all of them and the look on their face as they eat it does not match mine.

On topic of fruit- i think the thing that upsets me the most is the 1 in 100 or more good peach at the grocery store. Its like playing the lottery… Same thing with oranges.

3 Likes

Omg, Dragonfruit makes me so angry. But here is the thing. I have tasted Dragonfruit from the store that blew my mind. There are some cultivars that have so much flavor you would be shocked its the same fruit family. But saidly its chasing a unicorn. BTW it was a red skinned violet fleshed one that tasted great. I have yet to find another and all the current Red skinned violet fleshed are now nearly as bland as the red/whites.

5 Likes

That’s a good one! I would have agreed until I tried the yellow species (S. megalanthus). I’ve heard that the red-fleshed species (S. costaricensis) can also be very good, but I’ve never tried one. But every single time I’ve tried the most common species (S. undatus) they have tasted like insipid vegetal styrofoam.

4 Likes

fig

4 Likes

Exactly!
But like many things i’m sure there are good varieties and fresh-off-the-plant specimens would blow away grocery store ones.

From the grocery store, absolutely.

3 Likes

A grocery store plum. There are so many good plums like Shiro, the green gages etc. Issue is the stores in America don’t stock those. I have never seen a red or green plum in the store. I am guessing it has to do with the weight/size of the plums. Stores want big fruit that looks good and the super sweet plums are not massive in size.

5 Likes

McIntosh apples,. I have had really good red delicious before. But never have I ever had a macintosh I thought was nice. From a farm, from a store, from a tree that is “macintosh” like. It’s my least favored apple profile by far. I would take a sour wild apple over a macintosh anyday

5 Likes

Chums / Pluerries? can be pretty good, mostly because the cherry flavor does a lot of the heavy lifting. I find them every year in the Asian grocery store but found them this year in our local produce market.

3 Likes

Ya the skin is tough and below that very little reward.

3 Likes