Cornus officinalis cornelian type dogwood

Jam, jelly, dried?

@BlueBerry … i made some jam out of lang jujube… they were not good for fresh eating and the jam was… well… you could eat it… but will not while there is still some black rasberry, red rasberry, blackberry, loganberry… left.

24 hours with no food and it would be pretty good :wink:

3 Likes

I’m thinking the cornelian cherry jam might just get chosen over jujube…but I could be mistaken!

ps. If not for Asian immigrants, I doubt jujubes ever hit the radar here. They’re starvation food in my opinion, persimmons have them beat. Ditto goji.

1 Like

My goodness, I cannot relate. I’ve loved jujubes ever since I first ate them. I haven’t liked dried ones, but fresh they’re great!

I’ve had one blooming and fruiting for about 5 years here (I had planted 3 but only one took).

I get a few fruit each year, I’m sure it would do better with a partner for pollination.

Frost doesn’t seem to be a big issue for me. (zone 6 Michigan)

Scott

1 Like

I planted a couple Cornelian cherries about seven years ago. They are fenced, but barely clinging to life. I planted a third one last year in case one croaks. I don’t have my hopes up on them being anything great, but like to try different things for variety. Most of the oddball stuff is uncommon for a reason.

1 Like

I had the variegated one, but I had a bad habit of buying lots, planting them and forgetting aftercare for plants I had placed in strange locations in my yard…

Now that the kids are gone I’m hoping that habit will be broken…

Scott

1 Like

I like cornus mas. I have one red one and one yellow one. They are olive sized, with a similar pit. They aren’t as sweet as a cherry. It’s true that you don’t want to eat one until they are really ripe, especially for the red ones. Then again, I don’t exactly like unripe American persimmons either, but they are one of my favorite fruits. Cornus mas isn’t one of my favorite fruits, but I like them. I think it’s partially because I’m sure they are very nutritious, unique and good for your gut microbiome and the biodiversity of your garden, and because they are probably full of antioxidants. I think they are so reliably fruiting even though they do have an early, unique bloom in early March because they are wind pollinated. They are a great harbinger of the spring.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

Also I don’t have to give up a prime full sun area for them. They fruit every year in my cool climate with a semi shady spot.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

I was told they taste sweet with tomato overtones. Survival food at best. Then again who am I to speak with some of the things i am growing / trialing.

2 Likes