Cornus officinalis cornelian type dogwood

nice small tree, not mas species though… slightly astringent

4 Likes

Good to see another as not many people grow it. Here’s my 8-year-ish, old.

Known to be quite ornamental for its bark

Haven’t had berries. Have had blooms.

1 Like

I am going to clean the berries for planting. The squirrels love them. Hopefully will distract them from my hazelnuts. My tree is 20yrs old.

2 Likes

Ooh Cool!

I have 8 or 10 seedlings … obtained from Lawyer wholesale nursery in Montana prior to them going out of business. 8 in pots, most have bloomed. But I’ve gotten no fruit yet…birds did I guess. (I also have autumn olives on potted trees for first time).

I’ve never seen fruit aka shut split has not occurred where a fruitlet is dropped. I don’t know what’s up, basically.

1 Like

I ate some fruit from this tree in Vancouver, Canada. I found the fruit to be really good. It took a few years but later on I was told it was an asiatic cornelian cherry (Cornus officinalis). I haven’t seen them for sale in the US. The fruit looks different than the pics above though.

3 Likes

Looks the same. The fruit on plates are a week old. I bet they make an awesome jelly

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I have cornus mas, from Hungary. It looks very similar. I have seen reports on some type of Asian dogwood being very healthy.

John S
PDX OR

1 Like

I did harvest and clean some seeds if y’all want some. Email me your address and I’ll send 25 free of charge.

2 Likes

Here is some info on improving rates of germination:
Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame or in an outdoors seedbed if there is sufficient seed[14][15]. The seed must be separated from the fruit flesh since this contains germination inhibitors[14][16]. Stored seed should be cold stratified for 3 - 4 months and sown as early as possible in the year[16]. Scarification may also help as may a period of warm stratification before the cold stratification[14][16]. Germination, especially of stored seed, can be very slow, taking 18 months or more[16]. Prick out the seedlings of cold-frame sown seeds into individual pots as soon as they are large enough to handle and grow the plants on for their first winter in a greenhouse, planting out in the spring after the last expected frosts.

I also bet that cornus mas and cornus officinalis could be grafted onto each other. Interested in a scion exchange?
John S
PDX OR

Not really interested in c. mas scions. Thanks anyways. I dont see any vegetative growth that is scion worthy this year.

OGW has 8 types of cornelian cherry…

I have considered them… seemes like it can take them a long time to fruit. Well read their descriptions and they say they normally bear fruit in 2 or 3 years. Thats not bad at all.

They say… Fruit is sweet good for fresh eating… taste similar to cherry/plum ???

Ripens August/Sept.

Hmmm… may have to reconsider these.

These look gorgeous. I bet they taste good too. A little astringent in the oficinalis sp. That taste like a cherry/juneberry

The yellow one is described as sweet/tart…
I need that one for sure.

It says to get 2 for cross pollination.

The yellow and one of the reds is said to be resistent to dogwood anthrax… black spots on the leaves…

The others… it says you may have to use copper spray a couple times to control.

8-10 ft tall… beautiful blossoms in the spring… and fall foilage… sounds ideal.

1 Like

Some seedlings I ordered from Montana roughly a decade or so ago finally fruited a little this past spring. 4’ or so tall, in pots (but roots through bottom).

I went back thru my older OGW catalogs… back to 2019… and noticed this.

I had underlined “delicate flowers appear in early March”… and marked a frownie face by that.

We often do get frost in the low to mid 20s after early March.

Delicate flowers… in my mind …probably not frost hardy. I am sure that is why i decided not to try these.

Anyone growing these that can speak to that concern ? Do yours fruit regular despite early blooms?

Thanks
TNHunter

1 Like

I watched a few youtube vids on them… some showed them blooming in Feb… but they still got fruit in the fall…

They say you have to wait until they fall off the tree… to know they are ripe.

You can pick them when darker red on the tree and let them ripen in a paper bag on the counter like persimmons.

One guy said they tasted more like a tomato than a cherry. Hmmm…

1 Like

Cranberry-flavored cardboard is not a bad description of the flavor of the ones I’ve sampled.
Fully ripe, almost rotten, they’re best…but no one I’ve ever shared them with wanted a second one.

3 in a riverside public park in town here…earliest thing to bloom…look a lot like a big Forsythia, in bloom in Feb/Mar. But seem to fruit well regardless of frosts/ freezes

4 Likes