CORVALLIS - THIS FRIDAY (FEB 2) 9 AM TO AROUND 2 PM ! - Corvallis agrariansharingnetwork pear collection open 2024 -visit the 2200 tree rare pear collection!

@clarkinks
There aren’t many trees up around here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Fruit trees have faired fine and we have zero damage in our pears, but roads are very dicey and still have an inch of ice before today. Peoria Rd has a lot of trees along it. Everything should be melted by Thursday, so clearing will hopefully be quick.

1 Like

That sounds a lot like the Italian made grafting tool, I was looking to buy, just from a different seller, not only does it seem of the highest quality, the bud grafting option really got my attention since I want to start grafting citrus, and bud grafting is one of the two seemingly best grafting methods for citrus.

1 Like

@alanmercieca

It is the italian grafting tool and it is the best i know of. It doesn’t matter where you buy it as long as it is not a knock off it is great.

1 Like

Have you tried it for bud grafting?

Have you gotten any fruit from the ‘Charles Harris’ asian pear?

1 Like

@alanmercieca

Yes i posted some Charles Harris asian pears here this year! I think they are delicious Pear harvest 2023 - #53 by clarkinks . They looked kind of like apples this year. Big crop of them!

2 Likes

I vote for ‘Doitsu’ asian pear (‘PI 228012’) it sounds like it’s fruit is unique, Fruit Quality has been rated as being a 7 out of 9, 8 out of 9 is the best fruit ratting that I have ever seen. In some areas it had gotten very popular, like in Alabama, and even somewhere(s) in Canada.

Here is information about it ‘Doitsu’ ('Asian pear type')(also known as 'PI 228012') / Bountiful post area / Bountiful Figs

Also I think that you should get, ‘Charles Harris’ asian pear (PI 617599), fruit can get as large as 3 pounds, and @clarkinks is praising it. Here is some information about it https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1507863

Here are some posts about it that Clark has posted

1 Like

I understand your point. But I still believe it is a case that requires rectification. Having great programs is not justified only for the benefit of certain privileged groups. The full reason for the program is to benefit a Nation. Not a monied grower or Academia gaming new land grant funds. It smacks of a Czarist Plutocrat economy. Said as an Eisenhower Conservative.

@dannytoro1

Anyone can go collect scions this week, its not a priveledged class. Lets hope they give good programs like corvallis more money. They just require you go there. A few people like me they will mail scion wood that are doing pear farm research. Like any goverment program if you fill out the paperwork and qualify they will give you what you need. I realize all government programs can be difficult to navigate. It sounds like your frustrated with the difficulty of navigating the program. I dont blame you for being discouraged. I only ask for scions from them when i cant find them elsewhere. If the scions are not publicly available that is really what corvallis is for. Hopefully you have better luck going forward. Corvallis has been all but closed during the transition from one curator to another. They have been very kind to our forum members in the past. I’m sure they will be allowing more access to the public once they are situated again.

2 Likes

I have been told that ‘Agrarian Sharing Network’ would like advanced notice of who would be attending, checking in so to speak.

Clearly, they want to know in advance who will be showing up, and how many.

4 Likes

Hey there - just a bit of correction to this post because it sounds like the event may be misunderstood here. Would you be willing to edit this post? This event is a specially scheduled work party for folks working with Agrarian Sharing Network and is intended to be a collection date to help gather scion for ASN spring scion share events. Anyone can volunteer to help the ASN folks at this event, but this is not a free for all public collection event for personal use. It will be an organized collection work party going off of a pre determined list. Organizers do say that volunteers may be able to collect a few scion for personal use if it fits into the schedule and doesn’t disrupt the process. Anyone who would like to attend needs to connect with ASN organizer Chris Homanics first so they know to expect you and can make sure you understand what the event is. :two_hearts: If you aren’t on Facebook I would be happy to shoot him your name and info if I see your response in time!

7 Likes

I just messaged Clark everything he needed to know, clearly someone with ‘Agrarian Sharing Network’ thought that I was on their mailing list, when they tagged me on facebook, and that was where the confusion started.

1 Like

@clarkinks@Megmck is a top person with the ‘Agrarian Sharing Network’ she can be the person that people check in with before arriving

1 Like

I am just an ASN volunteer who happens to have an account in this group here. You’ll want to check in with Chris Homanics via the ASN Facebook group. If you do not have Facebook I can give him your name and get you the correct info though. :smiley:

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for making this less confusing.

2 Likes

@alanmercieca just to clarify - there is not an ASN mailing list, and new folks are encouraged to come help out! They just need to check in with Chris who is organizing the event before coming to make sure they’re expecting you and to make sure you understand what the work party is for. I think you probably just misunderstood when I told Chris that I had emailed a few folks that I had emails for. It’s not an ASN email list - just a personal collection from a previous event. It has nothing to do with who can attend :slight_smile: ASN is open for all to participate, but this particular trip is an organized event.

2 Likes

Why is it called a ‘work party’?

1 Like

It’s more fun to do work when it’s with like minded folks volunteering for a good cause. That makes it fun, hence the party part.

3 Likes

Large bundles will be collected, clearly labeled, and then at a later date there will be another work party at a different site to cut them all down to size, sort, store, distribute to the scion share event organizers, etc. Folks would want to join the Agrarian Sharing Network Facbebook group to connect with that event if they’d like to help :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You misunderstand. I think what Corvallis is doing is the right way. I think what Geneva is doing is arbitrary, exclusionary and bordering on snobbish classism.

Unfortunately my career dictated navigating the vagaries of Government paperwork at all levels and even International scopes. Since Geneva really does not care to expound on their policy; I opted to kick the can over their heads. We will see how that goes.

2 Likes

@dannytoro1

It sounds like i did misunderstand your message. Thank you for clarifying.

1 Like