Cosmic crisp apple

I live near a great orchard that sells a bunch of different apples. I tried several varieties over the past year to see what I liked the best. For me, Evercrisp blew the rest away. My favorite.

4 Likes

I agree with Yoda’s assessment, it is an excellent apple. Very sweet, juicy and crisp. This is based on commercial samples, as my tree is a second leaf and will not fruit this year.

4 Likes

So it sounds like not much in the way of tart flavor in Evercrisp, pretty much pure sweet like Fuji but more crisp? Still, described as blowing the rest away is certainly intriguing to me even though my favorites have been what I think is usually called a sweet-tart apple like Cosmic or SweeTango.

2 Likes

There is a little bit of tart too, definitely more than Fuji.

3 Likes

I have Cosmic Crisp on M27. This was the first year to bear. No disease problems, no scab. About six apples on my about two year old tree.

The apples were excellent. Juicy, sweet, tart, great apple taste. Easily among my favorites this year.

This tree had no watering all summer long. Hot summer. It gets a little shade on its South side. The tree is about five feet tall.

9 Likes

I ate another EverCrisp … just finished it. Excellent apple…this cross of Fuji and Honeycrisp seems better than either parent.

Yesterday, ate a big pretty Cosmic Crisp. Not nearly as satisfying as the EverCrisp.
But prettier to look at.

Cosmic Crisp has some off-taste/smell to it…almost the odor of Pennzguard lubricant or something. A good apple. But not as good as Honeycrisp, Evercrisp, Fuji, or Red Delicious.

2 Likes

I’m pretty much the same, it (EverCrisp) nudges out both Fuji and Honeycrisp…better than either parent.

It’s going to make a good breeding parent once I get some pollen of it.

Cosmic Crisp is going to be around for some time though…all those thousands of acres
planted that have been planted after ripping out Red Delicious.

1 Like

For me a m27 is my favorite among all the different rootstocks. I would never use M7. It’s just good for survival purposes, not for taste.

So, you’re saying the rootstock affects the taste in a major manner?’

My faults using M7 is a sparse crop and it’s kinda tardy to start bearing. (But not as bad as M111).

Yes I do. Most members here are noted to be very picky about taste. I use to be. I don’t grow apple anymore, cut down my last peach tree, 4 pluots are left. All others are container growing, why? Simple, no
Spaying. Oops, still have 4 pear trees, bunch of paw paw, s, a few persimmons.
Got a question, back in the early seventies(nafex) was told that when you spray Asian pear just one time you have to continue spraying. I have sprayed mine in the beginning, not anymore, still have clean fruit.

1 Like

Blueberry, Cosmic Crisp are not consistent. Some have off flavors at the skin that will have me throw it in the trash rather than finish it. Some are excellent. I think you probably haven’t had a good one yet.

1 Like

I’ve had pretty good Cosmic Crisps this year (much better than previous years, not the best grocery store apple but well above average) but they still had a slight hint of that off taste, not enough to be a problem but noticeable. I only got a handful last year since the off taste was so strong (a bit like gasoline, very strange) and they tasted so bland. Very inconsistent so far in WA!

1 Like

I suspect these off tastes are from a post harvest fungicide to help the apples last through months of storage. I experienced it with EverCrisp before.

1 Like

I still believe that soil has a lot to do with taste. I remember back than that the Japanese were buying apples strictly from apples grown in the Wanetchy valleys, didn’t spell it right. They were selling those apples at very high prices, $5.a piece, big money in those days. They wouldn’t touch stuff growing from the east. Than came the influx from Japanese
Type of apples, more sweet and juicy, kids like them better .
I always wonder m27 apples grown in containers with a best soil makes sense
My Melrose apples were much bigger than m7 grown ones.

If fungicide – then RD, Golden Delicious, Gala, Opal, etc.,----do they also have this petroleum distillate taste/aroma if housed in the same controlled atmosphere storage?
If so, I missed it all these years.

Curglaff, for a moment I thought maybe my mouth tasted something nobody else did.

(Having used a siphon hose to get gasoline out of a vehicle before, I do have experience on the taste of gasoline.)

1 Like

It is a harsh, unnatural, unpleasant taste. It’s not just unpalatable, it tastes unhealthy. (although I feel that way about truffle oil too)

1 Like

BlueBerry, I suspect the Cosmic Crisp off-taste is some kind of reaction between a treatment and the apple. Maybe its something unique to Cosmic Crisp. Because I agree, I don’t taste that in other apples.

It may also be that the most unpleasant compounds are not detectable by everyone’s tastebuds. Because I don’t know how anybody could think the bad ones are okay if they are tasting what I taste a the skin like with saccharin. Saccharin tastes like poison to me.

1 Like

Ive had Galas from a local producer that were really exceptional. The wife brought in a basket and they were tops.

1 Like

About 2022 Gala became #1, numero uno, in sales in the United States. Sending Red Delicious into 2nd place.
I might be off by one year…but it’s been very recent. Gala is a good apple. I tend one for my neighbor, probably on M111…probably the original clone, it’s not red on outside.

1 Like