Cost Report and Call For Donations March 2023

Thanks ! (PayPal)

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping such a great resource running. Donation sent :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Scott. Glad to be able to contribute!

1 Like

And I would just like to point out what an amazing resource this forum is. I have a lot of interests, I participate in a number of forums, and this forum is without a doubt the greatest I have ever experienced. It’s the depth of information provided by members here, with good decorum and civility–and the technical niceties that create such ease of use.

Thank you to our founder, those who manage, and all who participate.

Marc

4 Likes

Thanks for keeping the donations coming! It looks like we are at $3300 now which should give us three or so years before I need to pass the plate again. I think we will keep the “drive” going until the coming weekend.

9 Likes

I just saw this. I’m very old fashioned so dropping a check in the mail today.

1 Like

Donated today. Thanks for all the work that goes into this. I often have difficulty with a simple email and don’t even get me trying to respond when there is a thread of emails, so I can only imagine how hard it is to keep a forum like this going. Appreciated.

Sent! Thanks for all you do Scott!

8 Likes

I don’t know your intention but telling someone to “shut up” is never positive in my book.

1 Like

@mamuang, if I recall correctly, the scene from where they drew that screenshot is one where a product is being actively hawked, and the featured character has already been convinced by the pitch and wants to purchase the product being sold, so much so that he is telling the salesman to quiet themself and accept the money for the sale, i.e. I love this so much that I want to quickly throw my money at supporting the forum.

6 Likes

I actually laughed at the cartoon.

1 Like

Sent some bucks today. Sorry for my procrastination.

P.S. Forgot to mention the effortless ease of using the site day after day. Helps to have a bona fide computer scientist in our midst doesn’t it?

4 Likes

Shut up and take my money! Meme | Meaning & History | Dictionary.com

MEMES DICTIONARY

Shut up and take my money!

WHAT DOES SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! MEAN?

Shut up and take my money! is an endorsement that can be applied to a real or suggested product. The phrase implies extreme enthusiasm for a product and eagerness to buy it.

WHERE DOES SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! COME FROM?

Shut up and take my money!

Know Your Meme

Shut up and take my money! originated in a 2010 episode of the animated show Futurama. It is shouted by one of the main characters, Fry, during his attempts to buy an “eyePhone,” a product parodying Apple’s iPhone, from a clerk reciting the gadget’s numerous shortcomings. Within a day, the German tech blog Crackerjack posted an image of Fry captioned with “Shut up and take my money!” and a meme was born.

EXAMPLES OF SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

“I’d buy. I’d submit. Total support. Shut up and take my money.”

Karen Osborne @karenthology Twitter (April 18, 2017)

“What is your ‘shut up and take my money’ movie reboot idea? [Serious]”

Clean_Elven_Arse Reddit (April 5, 2016)

SEE MORE EXAMPLES

WHO USES SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!?

Shut up and take my money! is a popular image macro to post on forums or message boards discussing inventions and business models. Its popularity is especially pronounced on Reddit, where a subreddit called r/shutupandtakemymoney discusses new and innovative technology that posters might want to throw money at.

Shut up and take my money is a positive statement that can express approval or strong interest in an idea. It can be taken as encouragement for the seller or inventor of a new product, especially in the tech realm.

Shut up and take my money! can also be used as an adjective. For example, someone could have a “shut up and take my money idea” or a “shut up and take my money product.”

The meme is well-known enough at this point that people can be playful with it, swapping out Fry’s hair, outfit, and cash with other things, or using the words Shut up and take my money! with another image altogether.

6 Likes

I agree.

Good thing nobody quoted Bender!

1 Like

Not knowing the background did make me feel unfunny when seeing the post.

Glad some of you like it,

2 Likes

I understand. :grinning:

1 Like

Careful, dating yourself. I’m 63 and have seen this meme a dozen times in the last few years. This is actually a salesman’s dream when you think about it.

2 Likes

Maybe this one works better for you? Similar sentiment, that the site sells itself, we are indebted to Scott for providing this for us, and asking us to simply defray the hard costs is the bargain of the century. In other words, no need for a pitch (in my case), just show me how to pay:

11 Likes

Sorry about the Venmo - I’ve been getting strange paypal spam for about 6 months now and I’ve been avoiding paypal because of it.

I’m new here but have found all the advice so so so valuable. Thank you Scott for keeping the site running - I’m sure it is no small time commitment. And thank you to all the of the more experienced growers who have shared their knowledge!

2 Likes