Could this vine be a Hardy Kiwi vine

One of my rental home the previous owner had what I think is a Alberta peach tree and maybe male or female hardy kiwi. Can anymore ID the vine?

Tony

1 Like

Yes…I just looked at mine…i have 3 vines of hardy kiwi (the Russian named ones… Natasha/etc…) I may rip mine out or move them…bad spot and they still haven’t flowered…and they grow like crazy so they are hard to keep under control. I believe mine are from Burnt Ridge.

Thanks Rob, this vine grew wild. It climbed all over the peach tree. I gave it a major hair cut today.

Tony

It’s the trellis formerly know as a peach tree. I did that intentionally with a pine tree and a male kiwi (I don’t want to climb the tree to pick fruit, but it can dump pollen from above).

3 Likes

My general rule is - Don’t go near the kiwis without pruners in hand. They need haircuts often.

Tony,
I have not tried the hardy kiwi but it looks a lot like Anna that I grew. Do they not require as much water? I’m surprised one would grow without extra tlc and lots of h20 in Nebraska.

The young couple that rented the house did not even recognized the peach tree which loaded with fruit. The sad part was most of the large branches were broken because of not thinning. We got lots of rain this year so the kiwi vines went wild. I harvested some of the peaches from those broken branches.

Tony

1 Like

It definitely looks like my kiwi vines, so I would say you are right, but I can’t narrow it down further than that. I have Arctic Kiwi growing most profusely, it looks like them, but FYI the males (after 2-4 years max, if I remember correctly) will show variegated foliage, usually pink, white, and green splotching. I imagine that the hardy kiwis look similar.

1 Like

It looks like you may have more than one vine, hopefully a male and female.

The leaf axils in the last picture look redder.